website statistics

World Games 2022

Totallympics

Can't really find it hard to lose those airsports events when they were barely even shown in Wroclaw. I mean, I'd prefer to have them, but not if they don't get more than a few minutes (and only in the highlight videos of the day basically, without any competition video) attention anyway.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

Oh and even tug of freaking war getting a mixed event, f*ck me sideways :lol: 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

46 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Can't really find it hard to lose those airsports events when they were barely even shown in Wroclaw. I mean, I'd prefer to have them, but not if they don't get more than a few minutes (and only in the highlight videos of the day basically, without any competition video) attention anyway.

Air Sports and Tug of War seem to be the only sports not broadcast during Wroclaw 2017. Drone Racing will for sure be broadcast in Birmingham, but Canopy Piloting will most likely not. 

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

Just now, Olympian1010 said:

Air Sports and Tug of War seem to be the only sports not broadcast during Wroclaw 2017. Drone Racing will for sure be broadcast in Birmingham, but Canopy Piloting will most likely not. 

Which is a tiny bit understandable for air sports, considering the logistics, but come on, for tug of war you pretty much literally only need one or two cameras in a fixed position to have a somewhat decent show.

46 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Oh and even tug of freaking war getting a mixed event, f*ck me sideways :lol: 

I’m actually really curious to see how that event goes. Just from watching the highlights of 2017, I can tell the men and women have two very different styles. 

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

1 minute ago, heywoodu said:

Which is a tiny bit understandable for air sports, considering the logistics, but come on, for tug of war you pretty much literally only need one or two cameras in a fixed position to have a somewhat decent show.

Yeah, I don’t understand the decision around Tug of War either.

@Olympian1010 does the Olympic Channel still have US broadcast rights? From what I remember their TV coverage was piss poor in 2017 with only an hour recap show on the Olympic Channel every night. They did have live events in their website, though. Eurosport’s was wayyy better basically action 24/7.

Wow. More World Games news today! Just came across this on Twitter. Not sure if this is 11 man, 9 man flag, or something else. Also the article does not mention IFAF at all. Should be very interesting to see how this plays out.

http://ow.ly/ZzLH50Asb2c

1 hour ago, JohnFoyne said:

@Olympian1010 does the Olympic Channel still have US broadcast rights? From what I remember their TV coverage was piss poor in 2017 with only an hour recap show on the Olympic Channel every night. They did have live events in their website, though. Eurosport’s was wayyy better basically action 24/7.

ISB was the host broadcaster for Wroclaw 2017 (a role they will hold again in 2022). They worked with the Olympic Channel to bring expanded coverage of the World Games. The model worked as such:

There would be a World feed that showed action from the 2017 World Games constantly (24/7). All sports (minus Air Sports ams Tug of War for some reason) would be shown on that channel at some point. This ensured coverage for nearly every sport, and the maximum possible audience for the World Games via the Olympic Channel.

There was then the “rights holding broadcasters” (I.e. Eurosport, Sport1, NBC, etc.). Rights holding broadcasters could broadcast whatever the ISB made available for them. So they could show all finals live because they were using multiple feeds/channels. 
There was also the IFs, and this is the part of the model I really liked. IFs could use the ISB footage or even their own broadcast services to broadcast the games on their normal platforms. World Archery broadcast all of the Field Archery sessions to YouTube for issuance. Korfball, Canoe Polo, Floorball, Muaythai did same. Some federations (Billiards, Fistball, Orienteering) also had their own online channels at that point and used them. Most importantly, IFs could use their normal commentators.

So under this model, anyone with internet access around the World was guaranteed to be able to watch the World Games on the Olympic Channel. Sure it wasn’t perfect, and you couldn’t exactly choose what you wanted to watch, but everyone had unrestricted access to a 24/7 channel showing action from the games. People invested in these sports, could then watch full coverage of the World Games in that sport where they would normally watch live events. Broadcasters from various countries could then show whatever sports were popular in their country, and whatever sports they were hoping to introduce the public too.

The model was chaotic, and you had to be “in the know” a little to take full advantage of it, but it was probably one of the best models for multi-sports games broadcasting in the modern streaming era. 

Now to answer the question you actually asked, I believe NBC has the rights to the 2022 World Games in the U.S. (so yes, the Olympic Channel still has the rights).

@JohnFoyne World Games 2022 Bulletin #2 laid out the broadcast plans for the World Games 2022. There will once again be a universally available 24/7 channel for the duration of the Games. RHBs can then choose from the various ISB feeds which sports they want to broadcast. It’s unclear in this document if IFs will be allowed to broadcast their sports again, but I heard they won’t, so that’s super unfortunate. They should still be very good coverage of the games though.

Personally, I’m hoping NBC puts together an online platform to watch all the feeds directly like they do for the Olympics. I seriously doubt they will, but hopefully we get some sports on the Olympic Channel or NBC at the very least.

Bulletin #2: https://eventor.orienteering.org/Documents/Event/3789/1/Bulletin-2 (Page 15)