website statistics

Summer Olympic Games 2020 Qualification Systems

5 hours ago, dcro said:

It's exactly the same as the final draft, surprise, surprise. :p

I mean, there wasn’t really all that much contentious by then.

Also congrats to Equestrians Canada (or whatever the EF is called) on lobbying it’s way to free a full team.

Yeah, Canada has no excuse for missing out in a full team for at least the foreseeable future.

I still dislike that the individual qualifiers in jumping for Groups D and E are combined, but are separate in dressage and eventing. Jumping is relatively the most competitive discipline for Group D, but it'll be a tall order to beat out Group E nations. Meanwhile Barbados has a free spot in eventing provided the athletes reach the minimum criteria and no other nation decides to qualify in eventing.

2 hours ago, JoshMartini007 said:

Yeah, Canada has no excuse for missing out in a full team for at least the foreseeable future.

I still dislike that the individual qualifiers in jumping for Groups D and E are combined, but are separate in dressage and eventing. Jumping is relatively the most competitive discipline for Group D, but it'll be a tall order to beat out Group E nations. Meanwhile Barbados has a free spot in eventing provided the athletes reach the minimum criteria and no other nation decides to qualify in eventing.

Barbados eventers are competing at 1* level right now so it might be a tall order to both reach 3* level and earn qualification.

Bermuda should take up a dressage quota so at least something will go to the region (aside from CAN/USA).

#banbestmen

4 hours ago, Nate River said:

Also congrats to Equestrians Canada (or whatever the EF is called) on lobbying it’s way to free a full team.

Well, I don't mind. :p They have some great combinations and would be a shame if they miss out just because they are not as good as USA.

But then again, USA will qualify directly in Tryon at 99,9%, so this lobbying was more like a precaution.

#banbestmen

7 hours ago, dcro said:

Well, I don't mind. :p They have some great combinations and would be a shame if they miss out just because they are not as good as USA.

But then again, USA will qualify directly in Tryon at 99,9%, so this lobbying was more like a precaution.

I mean, I don’t mind either (bias and all :p ) and it’s not like Canadian eventers or dressage riders get humiliated on the world stage. Just seems like a lot of teams which leads to a very, shall we say, kind qualification standard in the Americas. Especially if the US qualifies from WEG.

The standard in South America and Mexico is getting better. They will likely finish in the back of the pack at the Olympics, but they won't get completely crushed. There may be a few complaints from Europe if both Canada and the United States qualify through the World Equestrian Games.

Indeed, Mexico could threat Brazil for a team quota place at the Pan Ams next year, as they are working nicely on getting respectable big tour combinations in the mix.

Turns out that replacing small tour with a mixture of small and big (Olympic level) tours at the Pan Ams has been a great success. Instead of participating at a couple of small tour internationals here and there, :ARG:MEX:DOM:ECU now all have some very good big tour combinations. :GUA:CRC:COL:URU are attempting to follow their steps, but their scores are not at the qualification requirements level yet.

Also, I suspect that :CHI:VEN might too get some big tour combinations before the Pan Ams next year, so it could get quite intriguing Olympic qualification-wise.

Thankfully the days when the likes of Colombia qualified a full team for the Olympics based on Pan Am small tour results are over. That happened before London 2012 and they ended up using 0/4 places as nobody was able to make transition and reach the minimum requirements during the short time frame.

#banbestmen