website statistics

Summer Olympic Games 2020 Qualification Systems

18 minutes ago, OlympicsFan said:

I hate the new IAAF system, it basically discriminates younger athletes, for them it will be much more difficult to gain a good world ranking. Also very unfair for athletes who are injured for 1-2 years prior to the olympics and therefore cant gain a good ranking. I never thought that i would say this, but IAAF should take FINA as an example.

They can still qualify by reaching the entry standard.

il y a 16 minutes, JoshMartini007 a déclaré:

That's only for one out of the eight quotas. Still a dumb rule, 8 teams is too small for to try and pull for universality (or even continental quotas).

There is no host country quota here. That makes it okish for me.

The main criteria for qualifying  (directly or indirectly via Tournaments) on 3 X 3 is the sum of ranking points of top 100 nationals.  This is a depth / volume criteria rather than a top quality one; which contradicts with the TOP Athletes concept for the Summer Games. I am surprised that IOC approved - this would be more suitable for  the concept of the Youth Games.   

10 minutes ago, ATHENS 1896 said:

The main criteria for qualifying  (directly or indirectly via Tournaments) on 3 X 3 is the sum of ranking points of top 100 nationals.  This is a depth / volume criteria rather than a top quality one; which contradicts with the TOP Athletes concept for the Summer Games. I am surprised that IOC approved - this would be more suitable for  the concept of the Youth Games.   

It would have made more sense to construct a rankings with say your best 4 players. 100 is a bit ridiculous. It reminds me of weightlifting where they reward average nations rather than top athletes.

28 minuti fa, ATHENS 1896 ha scritto:

IOC approve everyting :p 

7 hours ago, dcro said:

Yay, they cut quotas from small nations. Looks like they can no longer enter 1+1 athletes per default, but rather only 1 athlete. Thank God, Olympics will surely be saved with such measures! :lol:

Goodbye development of women's athletics in such countries. IOC's "gender equality" is such a scam.

I read the rule as saying that a nation is allowed one entry per gender. Especially due to point b.

45 minutes ago, ATHENS 1896 said:

3x3 might legitimately have the worst qualification system in the history of the Olympics...