website statistics

National Sports of Countries

Olympian1010

18 minutes ago, thiago_simoes said:

Football in Brazil is number one. A no brainer, actually.

We'd be done faster if we make a list of countries where football isn't number one :p

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

The Hungarian's "national sport" is still very clearly football. Nothing comes close and never will. Just look at how the whole country went insane during our participation in Euro 2016 or how Puskás is by far the biggest sport legend in a country that had many truly amazing Olympians like Egerszegi or Gerevich. 

Edited by Vektor

10 minutes ago, thiago_simoes said:

This is why I tried to inform about our second and third most popular sports. :d But I failed to pick a third sport. :whistle:

Biathlon. 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

@bmo I’m assuming you’d have no problems nominating Baseball as our national sport?

Actually, choosing one for the US is quite hard since we invented Baseball (in its current form), Basketball, and American Football (and probably some much lesser known ones). I’d still place my vote for Baseball because it was the first sport to integrate racially, the first to have an ultra popular professional league, and it’s connection to the 4th of July and American national identity.

As for California, I already said our official (by law/decree) state sport is surfing. It makes sense seeing as we have some of the most famous surf spots in the world, and probably the most surfers per capita. I’d personally argue that Cycling, Triathlon, Athletics, or Pickleball be made the official state sport. Beach Volleyball, Volleyball, and Skateboarding would be in contention too. If we were to have an official winter state sport it would most certainly have to be Freestyle Skiing.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

Baseball probably profits from being the oldest organized sport in America and before WWII there was this, boxing & horse racing over there? However right now I guess gridiron football is waaaay ahead of the curve. I can argue basketball is more popular than baseball as well? I mean you probably have more Latinos playing in MLB than blacks and NFL & NBA are dominated by black athletes so the color barrier has long fallen. I'm gonna bet preseason football that starts tomorrow beats all MLB viewing numbers alone.

3 minutes ago, Monzanator said:

Baseball probably profits from being the oldest organized sport in America and before WWII there was this, boxing & horse racing over there? However right now I guess gridiron football is waaaay ahead of the curve. I can argue basketball is more popular than baseball as well? I mean you probably have more Latinos playing in MLB than blacks and NFL & NBA are dominated by black athletes so the color barrier has long fallen. I'm gonna bet preseason football that starts tomorrow beats all MLB viewing numbers alone.

Right, but if you look back on page 3 you can see the model criteria I set down for the list of national sports (as nominated by Totallympics users) I wanted to start. If we go purely off most popular most countries would all share Football as their national sport. I totally agree with what you said, those sports just don’t fit the criteria. Plus, most Americans refer to Baseball as “America's Game” 

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

2 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

Right, but if you look back on page 3 you can see the model criteria I set down for the list of national sports (as nominated by Totallympics users) I wanted to start. If we go purely off most popular most countries would all share Football as their national sport. I totally agree with what you said, those sports just don’t fit the criteria. Plus, most Americans refer to Baseball as “America's Game” 

Historically it is the America's Game for sure due to the long-standing league existence, it's like arguing over hockey & curling in Canada though I suspect hockey would be #1 hands down.

5 hours ago, ahjfcshfghb said:

Sounds about right ^ 

I went to an English-speaking private school and there was great confusion as to what to call our nohejbal program.

the thing is that "nohejbal" would be literally translated as "football" which would not really work abroad I am affraid :d so they invented that international name "Football Tennis" lol.

the more common and nowadays used french word of futnet started to be used especially in :ROU the only country outside of TCH where this sport got some more or less noticeable popularity.