website statistics

National Sports of Countries

Olympian1010

3 hours ago, Jinzha said:

Very surprised Diving is that high! And also that gymnastics is more popular than swimming and athletics.

It looks like American fans should avoid the NOS broadcasts during the Olympics. And not just because of the language! 'Unpopular sports' like field hockey, sailing, every cycling discipline, rowing, judo make up a large part of Dutch Olympic coverage and medal hopes! Of course athletics, swimming and gymnastics (in that order for me) do make up the 'backbone' of Olympic coverage here as well.

These numbers can always be explained by the fact that in the USA, far more women than men are casual Olympic viewers in the evening hours, and they like those sports the best, and NBC obliges them.   Same goes for figure skating in the Winter Games.  

9 hours ago, NearPup said:

This misconception is just so annoying. The 2016 national polls underestimated Trump less than the 2012 polls underestimated Obama, or that the French polls in 2017 underestimated Macron. How good or bad polls are is very state dependent, too. Ohio and Michigan polls have been sort of garbage recently, compared to polls of say Georgia that have consistently been spot-on.

Misconseption about misconseption is also annoying. Polls were very wrong in 2016 and 2020. Especially state polls and state polls matter the most. There were polls which didn't show Trump lead once and Democrats up by 15pts or so. But hey misconception. There were states where they even didn't show Trump in single digits and he won. So, I'm very well aware of the situation and error was very big. 

11 hours ago, nenad said:

I would take those numbers with a huge chunk of salt. Their polls can't predict presidential race in US even though they poll it million times, now I'm suppose to beleive they nailed summer olympic sports... 

Please note that on the issue of which sports ppl prefer there is much less polarization than on political party support.

Neither is any "incentive" to not to tell the pollster their true opinion (e.g. due to social desirability bias) or intentionally tell not the real one in order to deceive the pollster (happens with political polls for some people)

Methodological challenges do arise though (how they reach respondents, what is the response rate etc.)

• 7 months later...

Polls are good, they are better than (educated) guesses anyway.

Here's one for Germany, asking in which sport Germans have a strong interest :

https://www.marktmeinungmensch.de/studien/die-beliebtesten-sportarten-der-deutschen/

Sans titre.png

To no one surprise, Fussball gets the more votes, then it's getting more surprising with ski jumping as a number two, athletics still a popular sport, etc.

I was looking for a similar study for my country, but unfortunately didn't find much, except this one from last year

https://www.olbia-conseil.com/2021/06/17/lappetence-des-francais-pour-le-sport-et-les-nouveaux-modes-de-consommation-du-sport/

I'm not sure of the methodology or the questions asked, but they come with this ranking, witch seems fine to me:

image-20210617122547-2.png

(rugby represented by a gridiron ball, damm parisians :bones:)

2 minutes ago, hckošice said:

Ice Hockey behind Swimming :facepalm:  now this is an insult :p

Anyway 7.6 % is a quite good number, the Draisaitl generation definitely raised the interest of Germans for the sport

Swimming does seem a bit too high, it's not like they're are thousands flocking to pools for swim mets every week across Germany (or in any another country for that matter).

6 minutes ago, De_Gambassi said:

I was looking for a similar study for my country, but unfortunately didn't find much, except this one from last year

https://www.olbia-conseil.com/2021/06/17/lappetence-des-francais-pour-le-sport-et-les-nouveaux-modes-de-consommation-du-sport/

I'm not sure of the methodology or the questions asked, but they come with this ranking, witch seems fine to me:

image-20210617122547-2.png

(rugby represented by a gridiron ball, damm parisians :bones:)

Yeah, as a person who lived in France for a while and met several French friends, I can safely say that in :FRA nothing can beat le foot :p followed distantly by Rugby (a sport they unsuccessfully tried for multiple ocassions to explain me and introduce to me :d) and les Barjots aka national men Handball team

Australia now (2021)

E4trKA_VIAIavzU?format=jpg&name=medium

I'm so jealous of the Australian sport landscape with four different football codes ranked there :wub: Half of the Australian population is at least "neutral passionate" (???) about AFL and tennis.

All right, that's 3 countries, only 200 to go :cheerlieconfused: