website statistics

Tokyo Summer Olympic Games 2020 News

The Ipsos poll seems about right for Hungary, I would say that the interest in the Summer Games have never been this low here, mostly because of COVID and also because all the attention went to EURO2020. Even EURO2020 produced some disappointing ratings here compared to EURO2016, so Tokyo2020 will most likely have record low ratings for an Olympic Games. 

And yeah, maybe we can move on from hating on the Japanese for not wanting the Games as this shows that the majority of people in many countries don't support the Games, and those numbers would be lower if they would host it. The fact is that the online anti-Olympics sentiment seems to be actually representing the majority this time. IOC clearly failed at saving Tokyo2020, it's a PR disaster so far.

If you look back to 2016 a poll in Brazil in Mid July had 67% of Brazilians against the games taking place. Over 100 medical experts called for the games to be cancelled. Now I realise the Covid situation makes things different this year but I expect when the games get going and assuming all goes well regarding Covid interest will be as big as ever. I know my excitement is a lot less than for previous Olympiad but I expect once the games start it will rise.

From reports from Team :IRL they say that they are receiving a very warm welcome from locals in their training and holding bases and no negativity. A lot of the negativity in Japan is political as there is an election in the Autumn. Thee was not a lot of excitement in the build up to Euro2020 but as the tournament started the interest mushroomed. Hopefully the Olympics will be the same and help lift the Covid gloom. 

Official oath of our Olympic and Paralympic delegations has been held this morning at the Presidential palace in Bratislava.

Barbora Mokošová (Artistic gymnastics @thiago_simoes) for Olympic Games delegation and Radoslav Malenovský (Shooting) for Paralympic Games delegation were honored to read the promise into the hands of the President of the Republic. 

in return, the president handed to both of them the flags for the ceremonies.

14jul2021_slub_prezidentka_olympionici_p

14jul2021_slub_prezidentka_olympionici_p

25 minutes ago, Oldira said:

If you look back to 2016 a poll in Brazil in Mid July had 67% of Brazilians against the games taking place. Over 100 medical experts called for the games to be cancelled. Now I realise the Covid situation makes things different this year but I expect when the games get going and assuming all goes well regarding Covid interest will be as big as ever. I know my excitement is a lot less than for previous Olympiad but I expect once the games start it will rise.

From reports from Team :IRL they say that they are receiving a very warm welcome from locals in their training and holding bases and no negativity. A lot of the negativity in Japan is political as there is an election in the Autumn. Thee was not a lot of excitement in the build up to Euro2020 but as the tournament started the interest mushroomed. Hopefully the Olympics will be the same and help lift the Covid gloom. 

Euro had spectators which helped a lot. With empty stands, the event will look more forced.

#banbestmen

18 minutes ago, dcro said:

Euro had spectators which helped a lot. With empty stands, the event will look more forced.

Definitely in some sports alright. Once the medals start arriving hopefully we wont notice.

and some more pics from the ceremony

Ján Volko (Athletics 100m & 200m) receiving his participating decree from the President of the Republic

216072807_4413718805340063_1472155656434

and one for @dcro favorite athlete Rory Sabbatini (Golf)

217888077_4413719305340013_9120988934689

The Oath act by the gymnast Mokošová and Paralympic shooter Malenovský

217460696_4413719382006672_4480801119079

217302025_4413719518673325_8104358802706

11 hours ago, Vektor said:

The Ipsos poll seems about right for Hungary, I would say that the interest in the Summer Games have never been this low here, mostly because of COVID and also because all the attention went to EURO2020. Even EURO2020 produced some disappointing ratings here compared to EURO2016, so Tokyo2020 will most likely have record low ratings for an Olympic Games. 

And yeah, maybe we can move on from hating on the Japanese for not wanting the Games as this shows that the majority of people in many countries don't support the Games, and those numbers would be lower if they would host it. The fact is that the online anti-Olympics sentiment seems to be actually representing the majority this time. IOC clearly failed at saving Tokyo2020, it's a PR disaster so far.

There were no good solutions to this one. If they cancel, like the public opinion demands it would be another 1980 or 1984 just this time for the athletes of every country. If they go on then it can be claimed that public opinion overwhelmingly opposed the games and it was a symbol of tone deafness of the IOC leadership to organise this. I think the final assessment will depend a lot on how the covid situation evolves during the Games. If it will be like the cancelled F1 Australian GP 2020 (a cascading, escalating series of COVID-19 cases, important athletes/teams missing competition because of quarantine, constantly changing directives or approaches by organizers, etc.) then the opponents will be vindicated. If it goes relatively smoothly, then I think post mortem will be that it was not a "full experience" Olympics but it was still worth holding it to avoid another 1980/84 situation for athletes (of course what they really care about is the NBC/other rightholders' money)