website statistics

Tokyo Summer Olympic Games 2020 News

13 hours ago, Vektor said:

I am surprised it took this long, but it looks like American media is catching up the hot topic of Olympic cancellation. They are quite late as this debate seems to be already settled, unless a new wave starts in Japan in the next month.

Not sure if you realize this, but that "American media" you're referencing is actually a British comedian.  So I don't know how much you can read into that report that the American media is suddenly paying attention to what's happening in Japan.  Remember also that media rights for the Olympics are held by NBC Universal, so many other media outlets have little interest in the Olympics.  And obviously NBCU won't want to say anything bad when they already know they're likely to struggle to gain viewership.

That all aside, it's tough for Americans, particularly sports fans, to have an appropriate view of what's happening in Japan now.  We played sports through the pandemic because of the money involved with television rights, but there were also a lot of safety protocols in place in comparison to the "playbook" for the Olympics which doesn't seem as secure by comparison.  And now, despite our collective incompetence and mishandling of the virus early on, our vaccination numbers are climbing and many of our sports stadiums are opening back up to full capacity.  So we're a little perplexed that Japan is still struggling to the extent they are (my basic understanding is that a lot of it is internal politics and a lack of trust in the country's leadership) and that the per capita death rate from COVID is still higher in the United States than it is in Japan.  And their numbers have been dropping over the last month since their previous surge.

1 minute ago, NearPup said:

Small nitpick, but John Oliver is an American.

As of 2 years ago, yes he is officially a dual citizen.  Still, my point stands that this isn't really the best viewpoint of American media

John Oliver is the #1 most respected variety show host in America and has won their Primetime Emmy Awards multiple times, the American TV industry thinks of him as the very best the country can offer in terms of TV journalism. 

8 hours ago, Vektor said:

John Oliver is the #1 most respected variety show host in America and has won their Primetime Emmy Awards multiple times, the American TV industry thinks of him as the very best the country can offer in terms of TV journalism. 

It's one of my favorite shows and I watch every week (haven't gotten to this week's episode yet because I was out of town over the weekend).  Yes, they've received awards and praise from many news organizations.  But Oliver has said that it's a comedy show and a satirical look at the news.  If this was hard hitting investigative journalism, probably wouldn't have included a Japanese condom advertisement.