website statistics

Tokyo Summer Olympic Games 2020 News

Ugandan athlete tested positive. Most likely the Olympics will be cancelled now :)!

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2021/jun/20/uganda-olympic-athlete-arriving-in-tokyo-tests-positive-for-coronavirus

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

There will be no condoms provided in the Olympic village during the Olympics, due to the COVID-19 rules. Which is no doubt going to lead to some shits and giggles as reactions, but is actually quite serious....I mean, are they that naive that they think people won't 'find eachother' in the village?

There will be 150.000 to take home after the Olympics, which is a tad late.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

4 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

I mean, are they that naive that they think people won't 'find eachother' in the village?

Which can be said for pretty much any COVID prevention decision. Anywhere.

If anything, it would have been absolutely batshit crazy if this 'decision' was not imposed, though. These Olympics are already walking on eggshells as it is.

#banbestmen

4 minutes ago, dcro said:

Which can be said for pretty much any COVID prevention decision. Anywhere.

If anything, it would have been absolutely batshit crazy if this 'decision' was not imposed, though. These Olympics are already walking on eggshells as it is.

True, but this rule doesn't really add anything at all. I mean, there's a boatload of other rules to keep people away from each other, those that were planning to break those rules to hook up with someone probably won't be stopped by condoms not being provided. The only difference is that there'll now be a whole lot more unprotected sex against the rules instead of protected sex against the rules, which poses different dangers all by itself.

Oh well, at least hopefully a majority of the 150k available after the Games will once again be taken by athletes from countries where these kind of things are hard to get by so they at least find a useful destination (I mean, a Dutch athlete could take one as a fun souvenir, but it's rather easy to get a bunch in normal ways at home, unlike in many other countries).

1 minute ago, heywoodu said:

True, but this rule doesn't really add anything at all. I mean, there's a boatload of other rules to keep people away from each other, those that were planning to break those rules to hook up with someone probably won't be stopped by condoms not being provided. The only difference is that there'll now be a whole lot more unprotected sex against the rules instead of protected sex against the rules, which poses different dangers all by itself.

Oh well, at least hopefully a majority of the 150k available after the Games will once again be taken by athletes from countries where these kind of things are hard to get by so they at least find a useful destination (I mean, a Dutch athlete could take one as a fun souvenir, but it's rather easy to get a bunch in normal ways at home, unlike in many other countries).

It all depends on restrictions within the Olympic village. One can imagine there could a curfew for entering buildings after some time of day etc.

Still, the decision is a no-brainer. You can't really spin the headlines like: "New restrictions for locals imposed, while in the Olympic village 150k free condoms are being handed out- REPORTS."

#banbestmen

I am surprised it took this long, but it looks like American media is catching up the hot topic of Olympic cancellation. They are quite late as this debate seems to be already settled, unless a new wave starts in Japan in the next month.