website statistics

Tokyo Summer Olympic Games 2020 News

3 hours ago, Olympian1010 said:

BBC dropped their annual trailer for the Olympics today.

Not going to lie the BBC Olympic films are strangely one of the things I look forward to most before the games, I don't even mind seeing them again and again every time a broadcast starts. This is better than the Rio one imo. 

This part is confusing though…

Samoa has pulled its Olympics team from the Summer Games in Tokyo due to worries over the rising COVID-19 infections in host nation Japan, Radio New Zealand (RNZ) reported on Thursday.

A meeting has been scheduled to discuss the involvement of Samoa's Olympics team, RNZ added, without giving more details.

Those are two very contradictory sentences. I think Samoa has some athletes based outside the country, and my guess is the meeting is to decide wether or not to allow them to participate.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

I had talked about Samoa's withdrawal in the South Pacific thread last week. However Samoa will likely compete via Alex Rose based in the USA. No such luck for Nauru, Marshall Islands etc

Samoan athletes had to quarantine in New Zealand ,Australia  and then Samoa and while returning the same procedure again but twice the time in each country. That would be  months wasted.

Yeah, Guam’s NOC President brought up similar concerns earlier this week. Source: https://www.insidethegames.biz/articles/1109507/guam-noc-covid-19-fiji

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

According to a statement posted by Samoa’s NOC on their Facebook page, they still plan to participate in the 2020 Olympic Games, but their domestically based athletes and officials/coaches/management team will not make the trip to Tokyo.