website statistics

Tokyo Summer Olympic Games 2020 News

I dont understand why ioc keeps going back to baseball yet almost took off wrestling.  Baseball is popular in a small part of the world.  The americas and japan pretty much.  Will they want american football next?    Better to make an Olympic Formula 1 race.   Or figure out a way to make the soccer tournament mean something!

50 minutes ago, Maxim Fastovsky said:

I dont understand why ioc keeps going back to baseball yet almost took off wrestling.  Baseball is popular in a small part of the world.  The americas and japan pretty much.  Will they want american football next?    Better to make an Olympic Formula 1 race.   Or figure out a way to make the soccer tournament mean something!

It is, but you can say the same thing about water polo, field hockey or rugby sevens. There are enough strong teams and Europe has teams like Italy and the Netherlands which have had decent results.

The downside is that only six teams will compete.

1 hour ago, Maxim Fastovsky said:

Actually its pretty popular throughout the Caribbean, South Korea, Northern South America, Canada, USA, Japan. We also have competitive countries outside those such as the Netherlands.

54 minutes ago, intoronto said:

Actually its pretty popular throughout the Caribbean, South Korea, Northern South America, Canada, USA, Japan. We also have competitive countries outside those such as the Netherlands.

Aren't a lot of the good Dutch players from their Caribbean islands?

Il y a 1 heure , JoshMartini007 a déclaré:

It is, but you can say the same thing about water polo, field hockey or rugby sevens. There are enough strong teams and Europe has teams like Italy and the Netherlands which have had decent results.

The downside is that only six teams will compete.

Baseball by itself is not the problem, it's the lack of commitment by his best players. (an no, the men's soccer tournament is not the answer you are looking for)

If the MLB was supporting of the tournament, I don't think anyone would complain  (I wouldn't at least)

Sorry, anyone who says baseball/softball is not popular around the world really means it's not popular in Europe.  It's extremely popular in the Americas and East Asia (Japan, Korea and China).  I think that probably makes it more popular than several team sports already included, who only have European medal threats, along with the USA.  Softball just had their world championships in Canada and 31 countries participated, including ones from Kenya and Uganda.  

I prefer the idea of rotating sports depending on the host city.  Baseball/softball makes sense in Japan, but it probably wouldn't have in London.  Baseball fields are expensive so I wouldn't expect every host city to build them.  It's easier to build venues, or just re-use them, for the smaller events.  

I have a question though: How can every host city include surfing?  Doesn't that depend on geography?  For example, if Paris hosts in 2024 how will they accommodate surfing?  Same with Tokyo, I guess (at least it's on the coast).  I don't think it's like sailing which can be done in any ocean.  Doesn't surfing require specific conditions, and that's why their competitions are in locales like Hawaii and California?  

Edited by orangeman

Ahora, orangeman said:

I have a question though: How can every host city include surfing?  Doesn't that depend on geography?  For example, if Paris hosts in 2024 how will they accommodate surfing?  Same with Tokyo, I guess (at least it's on the coast).  

It'd be like sailing. Moscow 1980 had it in Tallin, Seul 1988 had in Busan, 1996 was in Savannah, 2008 was in Qindao, 2012 was in Dorset and a bunch of other examples.

1 minute ago, carivan said:

It'd be like sailing. Moscow 1980 had it in Tallin, Seul 1988 had in Busan, 1996 was in Savannah, 2008 was in Qindao, 2012 was in Dorset and a bunch of other examples.

Right.  But like I said, I thought there had to be specific conditions rather than just an ocean.  I admit, I don't know much about surfing but I have been to Busan quite a bit.  People surf there, but it's nothing like Hawaii or other places that hold regular competitions.