website statistics

Tokyo Summer Olympic Games 2020 News

I can see THIS initiative going badly wrong…..

Athletes have been told they can snitch their rivals and get them thrown out of the Olympics for breaking Covid rules.

The International Olympic Committee have published new regulations which states that 'any person' may inform them of an alleged infringement of the Games playbook by a competitor, which would then trigger a disciplinary process

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/sportsnews/article-9696499/Tokyo-2020-Athletes-rivals-THROWN-Olympics-break-Covid-19-rules.html

3 hours ago, Grassmarket said:

I can see THIS initiative going badly wrong…..

Athletes have been told they can snitch their rivals and get them thrown out of the Olympics for breaking Covid rules.

The International Olympic Committee have published new regulations which states that 'any person' may inform them of an alleged infringement of the Games playbook by a competitor, which would then trigger a disciplinary process

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/sportsnews/article-9696499/Tokyo-2020-Athletes-rivals-THROWN-Olympics-break-Covid-19-rules.html

That SEEMS like a TASTY bit of usual exaggeration from the online toilet paper that is the Daily Mail :d 

They're presenting it like athlete A can go to the IOC, say "hey, B broke this rule" aaaaaand B gets thrown out. That's not how it seems to actually work.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

3 hours ago, heywoodu said:

That SEEMS like a TASTY bit of usual exaggeration from the online toilet paper that is the Daily Mail :d 

They're presenting it like athlete A can go to the IOC, say "hey, B broke this rule" aaaaaand B gets thrown out. That's not how it seems to actually work.

Remember the era when a second false start by any athlete would be an automatic DQ? Think that was Beijing 2008.  It quickly got to the point where you could tell which 100m runner in a heat - invariably the fifth-ranked by time - would do the first false start.  :mumble: So I don’t share your faith in sporting honesty.

36 minutes ago, Grassmarket said:

Remember the era when a second false start by any athlete would be an automatic DQ? Think that was Beijing 2008.  It quickly got to the point where you could tell which 100m runner in a heat - invariably the fifth-ranked by time - would do the first false start.  :mumble: So I don’t share your faith in sporting honesty.

I didn't mean athletes won't go trying this, I mean athlete A reporting athlete B doesn't mean B will be thrown out (as Daily Mail sort of tries to present it), it means there'll be an investigation. Which is not necessarily bad, and also not really a problem for athletes who do stick to the pretty widely reported rules.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

29 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

I didn't mean athletes won't go trying this, I mean athlete A reporting athlete B doesn't mean B will be thrown out (as Daily Mail sort of tries to present it), it means there'll be an investigation. Which is not necessarily bad, and also not really a problem for athletes who do stick to the pretty widely reported rules.

Yeah, but if the investigation finds they have been breaking the rules……so yes, it is not my word against yours. It does mean that every single Olympic event is potentially a 4x400m relay race,  where :ATA can get Gold if they can convince the jury that one runner from :VAT had their toe over the line.

19 minutes ago, Grassmarket said:

Yeah, but if the investigation finds they have been breaking the rules……so yes, it is not my word against yours. It does mean that every single Olympic event is potentially a 4x400m relay race,  where :ATA can get Gold if they can convince the jury that one runner from :VAT had their toe over the line.

:VAT shouldn't put their toes on the line then, easy :d