website statistics

Tokyo Summer Olympic Games 2020 News

WTF ?! :wacko: so Derafshipour and Mahjoub are refugees !!! I really need to learn what the word refugee means. these guys still travel to Iran regularly.

Derafshipour is a world bronze medalist in Karate, he lost Iranian trials then moved to Canada. now he can go the Olympics without doing anything while the guy who beat him in the trials has to go through 80-man bracket in World Qualifiers to qualify.

this is the most disgusting thing from IOC, if these guys could qualify themselves by merit that was at least OK but even when they lost in the qualifiers, IOC found a way to let them in. lots of athletes around the world had to kill themselves to qualify for the Olympics while these guys can just walk to Tokyo.

5 minutes ago, MHSN said:

WTF ?! :wacko: so Derafshipour and Mahjoub are refugees !!! I really need to learn what the word refugee means. these guys still travel to Iran regularly.

Derafshipour is a world bronze medalist in Karate, he lost Iranian trials then moved to Canada. now he can go the Olympics without doing anything while the guy who beat him in the trials has to go through 80-man bracket in World Qualifiers to qualify.

this is the most disgusting thing from IOC, if these guys could qualify themselves by merit that was at least OK but even when they lost in the qualifiers, IOC found a way to let them in. lots of athletes around the world had to kill themselves to qualify for the Olympics while these guys can just walk to Tokyo.

Politics is everywhere especially when it seems political correctness.

10 minutes ago, dcro said:

What is this? Refugee judo team without anyone taking part in the individual events?

I know, like I can understand why they wouldn't let the cyclists compete in the road race while all other time trial racers must do so, but there's no reason as to why they can't compete compete in the individual events in judo. They did so in 2016 and it's not like it will "ruin" the bracket like it will in taekwondo and wrestling.

33 minutes ago, Vic Liu said:

Politics is everywhere especially when it seems political correctness.

of course this is politics. this is no coincidence half these so called " refugees" are from Iran and Syria. seriously how many athletes qualified from Syria to be in their own delegation ? less than 9 for sure. but I understand there is a bloody war going on in Syria.

all these 5 Iranian guys were former member of Iran national teams. all of them are relatively famous, all of them are at least Asian Championship medalists. none of them real refugees with a tough life and HAD to flee the country. no way. obviously the economy is beyond terrible in Iran. that's the reason people consider moving.

at this rate in 2028 we will have more Iranians in the refugee team than the real Iran delegation. IOC is encouraging our athletes to leave the country this way. I'm OK if they represent another country (I don't like it but that's understandable) but this ? without even actually qualifying !

18 minutes ago, dcro said:

What is this? Refugee judo team without anyone taking part in the individual events?

it's unclear why and i guess frustrate some countries who cant compete in the team event while having 5/6 Q