website statistics

Tokyo Summer Olympic Games 2020 News

31 minutes ago, dcro said:

I miss the times when the weather was my #1 concern about the Games. Still, I hope there won't be some crazy high temperatures. 

I wanted to ask a question not related to 2020 Olympics but didn't know where to ask lol

when exactly IOC started to have qualification tournaments in all individual sports ? I know team sports have qualifiers for a long time but in individual sports it started something like 30/40 years ago. I'm just not sure if it was 1988 ? or 1992 ? or maybe even the boycotted 1984?

28 minutes ago, MHSN said:

I wanted to ask a question not related to 2020 Olympics but didn't know where to ask lol

when exactly IOC started to have qualification tournaments in all individual sports ? I know team sports have qualifiers for a long time but in individual sports it started something like 30/40 years ago. I'm just not sure if it was 1988 ? or 1992 ? or maybe even the boycotted 1984?

I believe the first changes came after Atlanta 1996 when the amount of competing athletes started to be unsustainable, they were some sort of minimum criterias for competing also before but for Sydney they started to use the standards in Athletics and Swimming and IOC instaled the tripartite free quotas for non-qualified countries to a limit of max 6 per nation if I am not wrong

6 minutes ago, hckošice said:

I believe the first changes came after Atlanta 1996 when the amount of competing athletes started to be unsustainable, they were some sort of minimum criterias for competing also before but for Sydney they started to use the standards in Athletics and Swimming and IOC instaled the tripartite free quotas for non-qualified countries to a limit of max 6 per nation if I am not wrong

I'm quite sure they used Continental Championships as the only qualifier in wrestling for 1996 Atlanta, I'm old enough to remember that actually :d

47 minutes ago, MHSN said:

It depends on the sport too I guess. Looking at equestrian events for example, entries seemed quite organized by 1988/1992.

#banbestmen

16 minutes ago, MHSN said:

I'm quite sure they used Continental Championships as the only qualifier in wrestling for 1996 Atlanta, I'm old enough to remember that actually :d

Maybe they started right for Atlanta then, I am definitely not sure, but I think we can agree it was certainly during the late Samaranch era :d

and I remember Atlanta too, even if I was much more younger, I remember Lillehammer Ice Hockey matches (the SVK-ITA game) the whole school we followed in the school gym hall in a atrocious old big screen at my elementary school :p

2 hours ago, MHSN said:

Is I recall correctly from the Olympic reports, gymnastics and fencing started reducing the number of competing teams in the 70's.

Tennis draws after reintroduction were limited in the single & double draws for a maximum

Apart from wrestling, I think also archery & boxing had qualifications for Atlanta.

I think that he first edition in which every sport had their number of competitors capped by a qualification system was Athens.

On 06/04/2021 at 08:27, Vic Liu said:

I think North Korea is definitely over reacted. I can understand that they withdrew from OQT after pandemic began. But it's unnecessary to withdraw those qualified. They are not a big team and it's easy for North Korea to ask help from China including vaccine, training and quarantine. I am pretty sure Xi is more than willing to offer assistance for Kim and prioritize their requirement. Hope some miracle will occur in the coming months and no one is left.

I think DPRK doesn't trust China at all. 

Looks like they aren't  that well(Ok, they never are) in economy and they have even  a really awful relationship with Japan. 

I know the DPRK is working hard, but even Kim Jong Un is talking about a new great challenge. I, like a fan of DPRK sport, feel so terrible... you don't watch the North Korean performance so often... 

Kim Mi-Rae was my favorite... I think she was able to achieve two Olympic medals on the platform.. 

On 09/04/2021 at 08:35, Oldira said:

Is it official that they have withdrawn? I expect the IOC to give them time to change their minds.

Yeah, It's Official, sadly.. I don't think they change it... I ...just hope  to see the DPRK team at 2022 Asian Games in Huangzhou... 

:cry: