website statistics

Tokyo Summer Olympic Games 2020 News

56 minutes ago, Quaker2001 said:

This is why I like the crowd here.. I've been making spreadsheets (mostly to track the TV coverage) going so far back as Nagano in 1998.  Been building one for Tokyo that has a big grid with all of the events as well as a separate tab to track the television schedules.  I'll post that here at some point once we get closer to July, but good to see I'm not the only person who obsesses over these things.  And yes, Tokyo's site is definitely somewhat lacking.

For me it's just part of my normal routine though, I have my 'notepad calendar' every day of the year and just add the Olympic events just like I add any other event :p 

For example:

Za 3 april
--------------
Wielrennen Gran Premio Miguel Indurain 1.Pro
16.00 Gewichtheffen EK Moskou 45kg W
16.30 Moto3 Doha Q
17.25 Moto2 Doha Q
18.20 MotoGP Doha VT4
19.00 MotoGP Doha Q
19.00 Gewichtheffen EK Moskou 49kg W
Extreme E Desert X-Prix

Once I finished an event, I delete the line. This way, I can't really forget anything :p 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

3 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

For me it's just part of my normal routine though, I have my 'notepad calendar' every day of the year and just add the Olympic events just like I add any other event :p 

For example:

Once I finished an event, I delete the line. This way, I can't really forget anything :p 

I'm a total Excel nerd, so I used that to help plan my viewing (and sleep/work) schedule during the 2018 Olympics.  Once more of the schedule gets set for Tokyo, I'll probably do the same thing.  Much more difficult with the Summer Olympics given how many more events there are (that goes without saying), not to mention the time difference will make things interesting.  I'm usually pretty good about dealing with a strange sleep schedule.  Don't think I'd go so far as to match up with Tokyo day/night, but I imagine there will be at least a couple of days where I stay up all night and then sleep through most of the afternoon

9 hours ago, Quaker2001 said:

I'm a total Excel nerd, so I used that to help plan my viewing (and sleep/work) schedule during the 2018 Olympics.  Once more of the schedule gets set for Tokyo, I'll probably do the same thing.  Much more difficult with the Summer Olympics given how many more events there are (that goes without saying), not to mention the time difference will make things interesting.  I'm usually pretty good about dealing with a strange sleep schedule.  Don't think I'd go so far as to match up with Tokyo day/night, but I imagine there will be at least a couple of days where I stay up all night and then sleep through most of the afternoon

Here a page from a simple spreadsheet I've been working on, set to Eastern US time, so I can get an idea what's going on at any one time.  Did this in Feb. 2020, so some of the times may not match exactly, and as we get close (and if it looks more likely that the Games will actually take place), I'll fine tune it a bit.

image.png

2 hours ago, Triplecast said:

Here a page from a simple spreadsheet I've been working on, set to Eastern US time, so I can get an idea what's going on at any one time.  Did this in Feb. 2020, so some of the times may not match exactly, and as we get close (and if it looks more likely that the Games will actually take place), I'll fine tune it a bit.

I've been updating mine, including to add in matchups for most of the team sports.  I'm also doing this from the standpoint of Eastern Time and US television.  This is what mine looks like.  And yes, I'll be happy to share this when we reach July..

sheet.jpg

Here's the one I had from 2018.  Fewer events so it's a lot easier to manage, but the final version of the Tokyo spreadsheet will include TV times like this one has.  Easier to plan out viewing and sleeping that way

sheet18.jpg

3 hours ago, Quaker2001 said:

Here's the one I had from 2018.  Fewer events so it's a lot easier to manage, but the final version of the Tokyo spreadsheet will include TV times like this one has.  Easier to plan out viewing and sleeping that way

sheet18.jpg

How can you live with a spreadsheet where the events are not mentioned, but only the sports? :hairpull::d 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

I'm not good at Excel at all, but I have made the early drafts of schedule - days -2, -1 and 0 (easy part) and of day 1 (that was quite a challenge)...

CET times.

Btw, is there a detailed handball schedule available yet?

21.04.04 day -2.xlsx 21.04.04 day -1.xlsx 21.04.04 day 0.xlsx 21.04.04 day 1.xlsx

6 hours ago, heywoodu said:

How can you live with a spreadsheet where the events are not mentioned, but only the sports? :hairpull::d 

There are column headings at the top.  I tried to combine columns where I can to make the sheet a little bit neater and less cluttered.  Best I can do to keep things organized, but also somewhat readable.  Easier for the Winter Olympics where I could fit everything into 9 columns.  With the Summer Olympics, there are a couple days where there might be 25 sports all in action on the same day.

2 hours ago, rafalgorka said:

I'm not good at Excel at all, but I have made the early drafts of schedule - days -2, -1 and 0 (easy part) and of day 1 (that was quite a challenge)...

CET times.

Btw, is there a detailed handball schedule available yet?

21.04.04 day -2.xlsx 10.45 kB · 6 downloads 21.04.04 day -1.xlsx 10.53 kB · 3 downloads 21.04.04 day 0.xlsx 10.42 kB · 4 downloads 21.04.04 day 1.xlsx 14.34 kB · 8 downloads

It's tough when you get to the busier days.  All depends on how much time you want to spend doing this, whether you're good with Excel or not!

And I've been looking for the handball schedule, doesn't look like it's out yet.  They had the draw to determine the groups earlier this week, but don't believe they have set the match schedule yet