website statistics

Tokyo Summer Olympic Games 2020 News

Honestly, I don't think vaccination of athletes is going to be bottleneck. I am sure IOC can muster 50k doses easily to vaccinate all the athletes and support staff. I think the main issues are how much of Japan is vaccinated by Olympics, qualification events and quarantine issues. 

14 minutes ago, Dolby said:

Honestly, I don't think vaccination of athletes is going to be bottleneck. I am sure IOC can muster 50k doses easily to vaccinate all the athletes and support staff. I think the main issues are how much of Japan is vaccinated by Olympics, qualification events and quarantine issues. 

I believe qualifications events are going to be the most challenging issues. I expect a lot of delays and most likely some cancellations. 

9 hours ago, intoronto said:

I think almost all the big western countries are discussing that in this period...

also in Italy today's newspapers are out with an interview to our NOC's president Giovanni Malagò talking of that ("professional athletes can't stay quarantined at home, they must fly arounfd the world to save the good name of Italy and earn as many Olympic spots as possible"...

55 minutes ago, phelps said:

I think almost all the big western countries are discussing that in this period...

also in Italy today's newspapers are out with an interview to our NOC's president Giovanni Malagò talking of that ("professional athletes can't stay quarantined at home, they must fly arounfd the world to save the good name of Italy and earn as many Olympic spots as possible"...

Which is of course bullshit, but when you're the head of an NOC, you can't really say much else :p 

No way athletes should get priority over actually important people, but yeah. Money talks.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

So we know the athletes will have to pass a test 72 hours before departure to the Games, then another after arrivel and another one every fourth day. They will not be able to leave the athletes village only for attending their competition and trainings.

John Coates, Vice President of the International Olympic Committee (IOC), revealed first informationsof the new Tokyo Rulebook.

For the Japanese and the IOC itself, organizing the event is a big challenge. "Athletes will have to take a coronavirus test no later than 72 hours before leaving for Tokyo. They will be tested after arrival and then every four days if the results are negative," Coates told Sky News Australia.

Athletes and their teams are already used to regular testing. Another solution to limit the spread of coronavirus will be to create a so-called "bubble" in the olympic village. "Participants will be closed and their movement will be limited to the Olympic Village and transport to the competition and training venue. There will be a total ban on leaving the Olympic Village," added the 70-year-old native of Sydney, Australia.

Coates admitted that a final decision regarding the presence of fans in Tokyo has still not been made. "About the spectators at the stadiums during the Olympics should be decided in March or April. We should decide on this as soon as possible. However, it cannot be ruled out that the Olympics will be without foreign spectators," Coates added.

If there are no complications, this year's Tokyo Olympics should start on July 23 and last until August 8.