website statistics

Tokyo Summer Olympic Games 2020 News

IOC should finally take a stand against dictatorships. Excluding Italy from the Olympics seems like the best solution.

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

1 hour ago, OlympicsFan said:

IOC should finally take a stand against dictatorships. Excluding Italy from the Olympics seems like the best solution.

Isn't "compromising" with dictatorships part of that strange kind of tradition of hypocrisy in the IOC? As my neghbour from behind the Oder you should know, whom I mean. Hint: he had a moustache much smaller but more characteristical than de Coubertin.

11 hours ago, Monzanator said:

I recall Italy in white athletics uniforms in late 80s and even 90s but that was after Mennea's heyday, that's what got me confused here. I do remember Fiona May or Annarita Sidoti in all-white too but that's like over 20 years ago and my memory could be wrong.

Didn't like Stefano Baldini win marathon gold running in all white? :mumble:

Yes...

also Ivano Brugnetti won the 20km race walk in Athens and Alex Schwazer the 50km race walk in Beijing...going back, Gelindo Bordin won the Seoul 1988 Marathon in white...

as I wrote, the white one is the regular outfit for distance runners and race walkers...

7 hours ago, OlympicsFan said:

Where the hell do you get 40-50 golds from? Combined they won 28 golds at the last Olympics. For 40 golds, Russia would probably have to win more than 25 golds and for 50 golds Russia would probably have to win more than 35 golds. 40 golds might be possible, but 50 golds would be more than surprising.

25 Russia, 10 Italy, 5 Belarus...and you get 40 (which is very much a realistic preview)...

if you add 2/3 more for each Country (more optimistic preview) you go even beyond 50...

Russia in Rio was excluded from many events where they could win medals (and the entire delegation was a bit shaky because of the whole mess regarding their status)...this time they have the chance to win a lot more gold medals than 4 years ago...

6 hours ago, Vojthas said:

Isn't "compromising" with dictatorships part of that strange kind of tradition of hypocrisy in the IOC? As my neghbour from behind the Oder you should know, whom I mean. Hint: he had a moustache much smaller but more characteristical than de Coubertin.

Duda before he shaved?

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

16 minutes ago, phelps said:

25 Russia, 10 Italy, 5 Belarus...and you get 40 (which is very much a realistic preview)...

if you add 2/3 more for each Country (more optimistic preview) you go even beyond 50...

Russia in Rio was excluded from many events where they could win medals (and the entire delegation was a bit shaky because of the whole mess regarding their status)...this time they have the chance to win a lot more gold medals than 4 years ago...

Which event, where they could win more than 1 gold medal, were they excluded from? They were excluded from weightlifting but I doubt that they will win more than 1 gold medal there. Also the perfect outcome for Italy would be 12 golds and for Belarus it would be 6 golds, so your predictions for those countries seem pretty optimistic and even if they make it we are still far away from 50 golds. With Italy and Belarus realistically not combining for more than 15 golds, 35 golds would have to come from Russia.

38 minutes ago, Dunadan said:

Look, those absolutely reliable media already changed their mind!

From 100% certain of competing under IOC flag to 100% certain of competing normally in 12 hours!

they didn't change their mind...

it's the government that approved a new "law" that follows the IOC's recommendation before resigning this morning...

it's a bit different...