website statistics

Tokyo Summer Olympic Games 2020 News

17 minutes ago, Monzanator said:

Italy competed under IOC flag during 1980 Games so let's don't overthink the room here. It wouldn't be the first time multiple nations didn't participate under their own flag.

As for IOC being hypocritical, lol, that's old news. If USA wasn't an Olympic power house they'd have their asses banned for the jurisdiction shift applied by the US politicians. But it's easy to play hardball with Nauru or Somalia and show double standards when it comes to USA :roflmao:

no, in 1980 Italy competed under our own Flag, but all the athletes enrolled in the Military corpse didn't participate at all...

it was one of our usual compromises, the State as an insitution (and therefore all the Military athletes) boycotted the Games, the private citizens (so, all the other athletes) were given the chance to choose...

our NOC, as a private institution, could use our Flag and Anthem...

this would be the first time ever we don't have our National symbols...and it would be because of a sanction, not on a voluntary basis, which is quite different in terms of public perception...

9 minutes ago, phelps said:

no, in 1980 Italy competed under our own Flag, but all the athletes enrolled in the Military corpse didn't participate at all...

it was one of our usual compromises, the State as an insitution (and therefore all the Military athletes) boycotted the Games, the private citizens (so, all the other athletes) were given the chance to choose...

our NOC, as a private institution, could use our Flag and Anthem...

this would be the first time ever we don't have our National symbols...and it would be because of a sanction, not on a voluntary basis, which is quite different in terms of public perception...

Then I maybe mixed up some history. I seem to recall Pietro Mennea running in all white kit around that time :mumble:

21 minutes ago, Monzanator said:

Then I maybe mixed up some history. I seem to recall Pietro Mennea running in all white kit around that time :mumble:

it's the Italian outfit in athletics, we have both a white or a blue shirt with a small national flag close to the heart...

normally the white shirt is used by the long distance runners and race walkers, but there's no strict rule about it...also the other athletes can use it...

however, this is the Moscow 1980 final over 200m and Mennea is wearing our usual blue shirt (as you might notice, in that particular case there's no Flag on it)...

on the other hand, Sara Simeoni has the Flag on her blue shirt...

as I wrote, basically our authorities supported those boycotting the Games, but they didn't actually stop our sports institutions to take part into the Olympics (except for the Military system, which was in practice forced to do it as part of the NATO)...

46 minutes ago, De_Gambassi said:

It must be some technical point that could easily fixed right ?

In most countries, the state is very much engaged in sports and dictate its will and who gets what.

yes, it's a technical point that could be fixed in 10 minutes...

but...

tomorrow morning our Prime Minister is going to the Presidential House to resign, so the current government can't take any further action and therefore we are in the middle of nowhere...

moreover, behind that there's a political plot by those who tried to make this "reform" just to put all the money reserved for the NOC and its "armchairs" under their control...

this is why no agreement has been reached in these months...most political parties here don't care about sport at all, they just want more money and power under their control and that's it...

I'm pretty sure we're going to fix this question sooner or later (maybe even before the Tokyo olympics), but we will have to get the humiliation of being sanctioned like the last of dictatorships before we do anything...typical of this class of politicians we have right now...

17 minutes ago, phelps said:

it's the Italian outfit in athletics, we have both a white or a blue shirt with a small national flag close to the heart...

normally the white shirt is used by the long distance runners and race walkers, but there's no strict rule about it...also the other athletes can use it...

however, this is the Moscow 1980 final over 200m and Mennea is wearing our usual blue shirt (as you might notice, in that particular case there's no Flag on it)...

on the other hand, Sara Simeoni has the Flag on her blue shirt...

as I wrote, basically our authorities supported those boycotting the Games, but they didn't actually stop our sports institutions to take part into the Olympics (except for the Military system, which was in practice forced to do it as part of the NATO)...

I recall Italy in white athletics uniforms in late 80s and even 90s but that was after Mennea's heyday, that's what got me confused here. I do remember Fiona May or Annarita Sidoti in all-white too but that's like over 20 years ago and my memory could be wrong.

Didn't like Stefano Baldini win marathon gold running in all white? :mumble:

52 minutes ago, phelps said:

yes, it's a technical point that could be fixed in 10 minutes...

but...

tomorrow morning our Prime Minister is going to the Presidential House to resign, so the current government can't take any further action and therefore we are in the middle of nowhere...

moreover, behind that there's a political plot by those who tried to make this "reform" just to put all the money reserved for the NOC and its "armchairs" under their control...

this is why no agreement has been reached in these months...most political parties here don't care about sport at all, they just want more money and power under their control and that's it...

I'm pretty sure we're going to fix this question sooner or later (maybe even before the Tokyo olympics), but we will have to get the humiliation of being sanctioned like the last of dictatorships before we do anything...typical of this class of politicians we have right now...

Tomorrow, just before the PM resign, they should talk about sport reform at the CDM

Hotel Quarantine will shut down most Olympic sports this year except for domestic tournaments or long tournaments where people are in one country for several weeks or longer.

The Olympics may be able to go ahead if Japan finds enough rooms for everyone and goverments find enough rooms for everyone to return.

4 hours ago, phelps said:

not only Fencing...adding together Russia, Belarus and Italy, there's a high risk that between 40 and 50 gold medals would be awarded under the IOC Flag and Anthem instead of the proper ones...

most likely we're going to have 2 Nations in the top 10 (1 in the top 5) of the medal table that couldn't even be named...

Where the hell do you get 40-50 golds from? Combined they won 28 golds at the last Olympics. For 40 golds, Russia would probably have to win more than 25 golds and for 50 golds Russia would probably have to win more than 35 golds. 40 golds might be possible, but 50 golds would be more than surprising.

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.