website statistics

Tokyo Summer Olympic Games 2020 News

6 hours ago, Vektor said:

We wouldn't be getting these conflicting reports if there wouldn't already be some major concerns behind the scenes. Bach and the Japanese PM confidently declaring that the Games are happening smells like pure PR talk, just like how the UEFA is still 100% behind the idea of an EURO2020 in 12 countries. Reminds me how politicians usually completely deny a bad news (like higher taxes) until the very last moment. They will continue to do this until the demand for cancellation will be too big to ignore. 

5 hours ago, Federer91 said:

There wouldn't be conflicting reports if they actually were working more and thinking less. Because that is not their strong suit. 

It's been almost a year now and those people SHOULD HAVE 10 back-up plans on how to have the OG. Of course they are always thinking, but the truth is that even a chimpanzee will be a better president than Bach.  

No question there's concerns and the IOC has proven themselves over the years to be terrible at public relations.  When the pandemic first took over the world, their initial response was "we're good for this summer, no backup plan."  A week later, it was "we have to go to a backup plan"

Bach is a bad front man for the IOC, but the entire organization needs a swift kick in the ass, not just him.  The Olympics are a massive logistical challenge.  They can't be working on all sorts of plans at once or else they'll lose focus on what they're trying to do.  Yes, they should at least have 1 backup plan beyond this summer, even if that plan means cancellation.

14 minutes ago, Quaker2001 said:

Tahiti approved by IOC as surfing venue for Paris 2024 Olympic Games

Yes, that's a one off, but sometimes those things are allowed.  And it'll probably start happening more often in the future.

To be fair, Tahiti is part of France. It'd be like when Hong Kong hosted equestrian events at the 2008 Olympics except French Polynesia doesn't have their own NOC.

52 minutes ago, Vektor said:

Is it still the Olympics if the events aren't in one country? I mean, the main reason why the Games are special because the entire sport community gets together and celebrates an old tradition. Without that it's just a bunch of events happening at the same time around the globe. 

I mean you can go from Budapest to Wien or to Prague or even Berlin in less then a day or Amsterdam to Paris or Brugge, Europe in this case is a good place to do this multi Host thing, like Euro2020 or even Euro2012, you can still get the effect of everything in one place and yet have it in some places 

Just now, Orangehair43 said:

That is very unlikely - That would destroy the reputation of the IOC everywhere else.

It’s just that it’s hard for Me to see a situation where the IOC is going to “give up” on this Olympics, especially after they decided to postponed it last year, so I how I see it this will be cancelling or Japan with more vaccinations or multinational thing

1 minute ago, Dnl said:

It’s just that it’s hard for Me to see a situation where the IOC is going to “give up” on this Olympics, especially after they decided to postponed it last year, so I how I see it this will be cancelling or Japan with more vaccinations or multinational thing

Maybe hotel Quarantines.

Or even postponement till October or 2022 through it's unlikely Japan would agree.

9 minutes ago, Orangehair43 said:

Maybe hotel Quarantines.

Or even postponement till October or 2022 through it's unlikely Japan would agree.

The cancellation will be a major blow to the athletes and for the Sports (and for us the fans)