website statistics

Tokyo Summer Olympic Games 2020 News

20 minutes ago, Orangehair43 said:

Every country would have the same issue.

Not really, some countries have less some more cases, some countries are already vaccinating, others not. Not sure if every country would've taken the same decision of cancelling 6 months in advance (assuming that what the article says is true, of course).

22 minutes ago, Orangehair43 said:

The key thing will be how Japan reports it in the coming days- do they announce it or deny it or ignore the reports.

Should have postponed to 2022 and then tried to get 2024 to move to 2026 and 2028 to 2030.

The Winter Olympics: Are we a joke?

At this point I think the IOC should seriously consider holding every discipline in a different region of the world for 2021 (or 2022) and make these "virtual" Olympics. They get their money from the TV contracts anyway, as long as they can put a product on TV it doesn't particularly matter where it's from.

4 minutes ago, LDOG said:

Not really, some countries have less some more cases, some countries are already vaccinating, others not. Not sure if every country would've taken the same decision of cancelling 6 months in advance (assuming that what the article says is true, of course).

Suspect most if not all would be the same especially with the vaccine busting mutant.

i found this, adding to my skepticism of the report from the times

https://swimswam.com/dueling-reports-leave-future-of-tokyo2020-olympics-in-further-doubt/?fbclid=IwAR01sR9CoxmiBOi_w73CedkRzXEvP9_QS6gCBdmGRVZiIOYbLwi0stzs-Y4

However i dont get why it would be an issue, yes fans cant attend, i think that needs to be said already, however the athletes cant quarantine? have testing protocols? Euro's are still on as far as i know, nfl went on without a hitch, the soccer leagues are going on fine. Off course we are talking about way more athletes but they can make it work for at least have the games, without fans.

4 minutes ago, NearPup said:

At this point I think the IOC should seriously consider holding every discipline in a different region of the world for 2021 (or 2022) and make these "virtual" Olympics. They get their money from the TV contracts anyway, as long as they can put a product on TV it doesn't particularly matter where it's from.

Right, but the Japanese government would take a big hit from that, and while that might not directly affect any future bidders, the effects of such a decision would haunt the bidding process for years to come I feel. If there’s no certainty that your city’s/country’s investment in the Games will yield results, why would you be lining up to host the Games at such a great cost?

I don’t think what your suggesting is a bad idea, but I think Japan counted too much on getting money from spectators and tourists. As whole, the international sports community has under valued the modern capabilities of television/streaming production, as well as, the doors those technological advancements open up.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

1 minute ago, Olympian1010 said:

Right, but the Japanese government would take a big hit from that, and while that might not directly affect any future bidders, the effects of such a decision would haunt the bidding process for years to come I feel. If there’s no certainty that your city’s/country’s investment in the Games will yield results, why would you be lining up to host the Games at such a great cost?

I don’t think what your suggesting is a bad idea, but I think Japan counted too much on getting money from spectators and tourists. As whole, the international sports community has under valued the modern capabilities of television/streaming production, as well as, the doors those technological advancements open up.

It would have to be contingent on Japan agreeing (and potentially guaranteeing them 2032).