website statistics

Tokyo Summer Olympic Games 2020 News

43 minutes ago, Fly_like_a_don said:

A terrible statement with no justifications.

I don't see from where you got such baseless info or if it was just made by you. 

Every new PM wants to start his or her term with something popular in most countries, and we all know that the vast majority of Japan supports the cancellation of the Games. 

This is also an opportunity for the ruling party to change their view on it if they feel like the public opinion has turned against the Games for good in the country and situation is unsalvageable, regardless of what will happen with COVID. 

14 hours ago, Vektor said:

Every new PM wants to start his or her term with something popular in most countries, and we all know that the vast majority of Japan supports the cancellation of the Games. 

This is also an opportunity for the ruling party to change their view on it if they feel like the public opinion has turned against the Games for good in the country and situation is unsalvageable, regardless of what will happen with COVID. 

A sample of 1000 or 2000 is not enough to decide what entire population speaks. However if the same survey is held in January next year it could be more. Moreover IOC will leave no stone unturned if govt thinks about such a decision. Irrespective of anything Tokyo Olympics are all but assured to happen now in 2021. 

32 minutes ago, Fly_like_a_don said:

A sample of 1000 or 2000 is not enough to decide what entire population speaks. However if the same survey is held in January next year it could be more. Moreover IOC will leave no stone unturned if govt thinks about such a decision. Irrespective of anything Tokyo Olympics are all but assured to happen now in 2021. 

Statistically speaking, if that is a random sample, than yes, it could be.

You are correct that public opinion could be swayed by January as well. It’s worth noting that Japan was already sliding into a recession pre-Covid, so economic conditions in Japan could worsen by 2021 as well. It’s also important to remember how much money has been spent on saving the Olympics, over other badly needed public projects. 

I would also add that forcing a country to hold the Olympics will definitely damage the chances of future games being held. Therefore, it would not be in the IOC’s best interest to take legal action against Japan if the Games aren’t able to held next year.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

1 hour ago, Olympian1010 said:

Statistically speaking, if that is a random sample, than yes, it could be.

No it's not. It's impossible to fit in so small sample every social group, every age group, every profession group, residents of cities and villiges, every region residents, every religion group etc. All that can have influence on people opinion and to be honest everything has. Education, sexual orientation, skin color, everything. And if you want your research to be a reflection of reality, so to say, you must have representatives of all possible groups in it (with equivalent percentage of ich).

20 minutes ago, Col_Frost said:

No it's not. It's impossible to fit in so small sample every social group, every age group, every profession group, residents of cities and villiges, every region residents, every religion group etc. All that can have influence on people opinion and to be honest everything has. Education, sexual orientation, skin color, everything. And if you want your research to be a reflection of reality, so to say, you must have representatives of all possible groups in it (with equivalent percentage of ich).

Okay, so this part of Statistics gets complicated real quick, but I’m going to try and explain it.

Now, I’m not really sure which study we’re referencing here, since I think @Vektor was speaking in generalizations about the findings of multiple studies. Here is how one of the those studies could represent the population though.

So let’s I’m doing a study on wether or not people in a certain town like the color orange. We’ll say my fake town has a population size of 10 million people. I’m going take a 1,000 person sample for my study. To get the 1,000 people for this sample, I use a method known as “random sampling.” Essentially people are chosen a pure random opportunity to participate in this study. Obviously people in town are very diverse. They come from different social classes, some might have immigrated to my town rather than being born it in, and there are different sexualities, races, religious beliefs, political beliefs, genders, etc. represented in the population. Hopefully, when I take my random sample, the percentage of those involved in the study who identify as let’s say, transgender, matches the percentage of those who identify as transgender in my town. If the percentages match, then the sample is probably an accurate representation of my town.

Obviously, this is the tricky part of these studies. A random sample can be an accurate representation of a population, but there’s some caveats to that. So, if we assume the studies that have been published about the Japanese public’s opinion on Tokyo 2020 used random samples, and those sample were representative of the target population, then those studies are most likely accurate.

Statistics can go from very simple to understand, to incredibly complicated in the blink of an eye. This is a simple principle at heart, but there are a lot of factors at play. I’m going to leave a link to an article from the The BMJ (a peer-reviewed journal) that explains sampling, in case you don’t get (or don’t like) my explanation. Link: https://www.bmj.com/about-bmj/resources-readers/publications/statistics-square-one/3-populations-and-samples

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

c'mon, guys!

Abe might have been forced to resign because of his health troubles, but the "Abenomics" is not even to be discussed in Japan...

moreover, until the end of the supposed Abe tenure, it will be his loyal Financial Minister to take care of the PM duties ad interim, which means that nothing will change in the economical choices and attitude towards the Olympics in that Country...

and with Koike being elected once again as the Mayor of Tokyo, there's no way that politics and politicians are going to force to cancel the Olympic Games for electoral consensus purposes...

the Olympics are not in danger at all, if not because of the pandemic issues (but I think we can be quite confident that at least one or two vaccines will be available worldwide by the end of next Spring)...

4 hours ago, phelps said:

and with Koike being elected once again as the Mayor of Tokyo, there's no way that politics and politicians are going to force to cancel the Olympic Games for electoral consensus purposes...

the Olympics are not in danger at all, if not because of the pandemic issues (but I think we can be quite confident that at least one or two vaccines will be available worldwide by the end of next Spring)...

Finally someone remembered that Tokyo's mayor is Koike, not Raggi :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

The postponed Tokyo Olympic Games will go ahead next year "with or without Covid", the vice-president of the International Olympic Committee says.

John Coates confirmed to news agency AFP that the Olympics would start on 23 July next year, calling them the "Games that conquered Covid".

Tokyo Olympics: Games will go ahead 'with or without Covid', says IOC VP - BBC News