website statistics

[OFF TOPIC] Save The Planet Thread

bestmen

6 hours ago, Olympian1010 said:

Could someone explain to me what the Roma are? I’ve read the Wikipedia article, but I don’t get why Europeans hate them.

I would not say hate, but here (where I'm sure there are fewer Roma than in eastern Europe) significant problems are in things like high crime rates*, children being left out of school by the parents (even though they are welcome to go, sometimes they go, then they don't, impossible to offer a program to them when 'will they show up?' is the daily mystery) and any sort of integration seeming to be utterly impossible and simply something they really, really don't want - which makes things harder, when moving to another country, no matter where it is, one should quite definitely try to integrate as well as possible... Of course there's always exceptions, but that is sort of the general consensus based on experience and situations here.

*around a quarter of the Roma under 18 years has already been in touch with the judicial system, against around 2% for the average in that age group

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

Also, @hckosice (or someone else), could you move pretty much the whole part after Lunik IX to the politics thread? :d This is starting to ruin bestmen's save the planet thread :p 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

1 minute ago, heywoodu said:

Also, @hckosice (or someone else), could you move pretty much the whole part after Lunik IX to the politics thread? :d This is starting to ruin bestmen's save the planet thread :p 

I do feel bad about that so I will mention that there’s a company (the name slips my mind right) that’s sell some neat looking little plastic brackets made of recycled ovens plastic in order to fund their further cleaning of the oceans. Also, when it’s hot outside like it is in Europe right now, try to conserve energy. In California when it’s hot we don’t turn the AC below 80F and we don’t use any lights from 7:00-20:00. We also try to limit other energy consumption as well.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

3 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

I do feel bad about that so I will mention that there’s a company (the name slips my mind right) that’s sell some neat looking little plastic brackets made of recycled ovens plastic in order to fund their further cleaning of the oceans. Also, when it’s hot outside like it is in Europe right now, try to conserve energy. In California when it’s hot we don’t turn the AC below 80F and we don’t use any lights from 7:00-20:00. We also try to limit other energy consumption as well.

We don't even have an AC in home. I do have a fan providing some wind and sorry (not sorry, I'd like to actually sleep), but that has not been turned off during the night.

Using lights isn't really necessary anyway from around 06.00 to 21.30 or something (this time of course getting shorter as winter is coming).

Tell all this to China though (others as well, but I believe they are the worst). I mean, we can be nice and keeping up with the rules and turning off a light half an hour earlier, but when they keep dumping truckloads full of crap in rivers and nobody gives a damn, there's not much one can do.

46 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

I do have a fan providing some wind and sorry (not sorry, I'd like to actually sleep), but that has not been turned off during the night.

You would be giving a lot of heart attacks to Koreans if you stay in their house lol

3 hours ago, Griff88 said:

You would be giving a lot of heart attacks to Koreans if you stay in their house lol

Care to elaborate? :p 

1 hour ago, bestmen said:

here where is located the 7th continent

5048130.image?w=800&h=449

plastique-pollution-courant.jpg?w=602&ss

1522069625-Y6M.jpg

PA041615.jpg?format=1500w

Though plastic in the ocean is a huge problem, I doubt those pictures are from there. It's mainly tiny fragments (which really makes it worse)

9 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Care to elaborate? :p 

Fan death is a well-known belief in Korean culture, where it is thought that running an electric fan in a closed room with unopened or no windows will prove fatal. Despite no concrete evidence to support the concept, belief in fan death persists to this day in Korea, and also to a lesser extent in Japan and Russia.

Link