website statistics

Summer Olympic Games 2020 Test Events

Just now, Dunadan said:

This "lowly test event" gives more ranking points than a World Series stage...in other sports you can get a lengthy ban for fixing results in such an obvious way.

Yeah I agree with your view. If it was some others sports they might not have seen it as sportsmanship and athletes would have to face severe consequences.

I guess it just doesn’t seem that big of a deal to me. :GBR would have won the race either way. Plus, as I said, they could have used the photo finish technology to determine the winner. Give each girl a small fine and stern warning. Also, publish a press release that says the next athletes to do this will get DSQ’d. I’ve seen people in multiple sports get slaps on the wrists for way worse rule breaks.

Also, from an Endurance athletes point-of-view. These races are taxing. It’s nice to have someone to celebrate with at the end. Yes, could have finished and then embraced each other. Instead they choose to celebrate a shared achievement. I’ve seen distance runners and cyclists do this all the time. There is huge comradeship amongst endurance athletes, especially amongst teammates, because generally there the only ones around to support you. Endurance sports to draw many spectators until the elite level, so it’s understandable to me for someone to want to share a victory with someone the most likely train with quite often.

There are much worse things to worry about in sports than two athletes sharing an athletic achievement. I think their finish shows class. 

I don't want to hear this match fixing crap from users either. Don’t act like Dutch, Croatian, and Indian athletes haven’t ever “fixed” results themselves.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

Just now, dcro said:

Oh please, now you're just talking nonsense. This has absolutely nothing to do with one's nationality.

I never said it has to due with one’s nationality. I was just citing random examples. I’m not the one making a mountain out of a mole hill and throwing around baseless accusations of cheating.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

3 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

I don't want to hear this match fixing crap from users either. Don’t act like Dutch, Croatian, and Indian athletes haven’t ever “fixed” results themselves.

There is no country in the world where some form of fixing hasn't happened in sports. So according to what you are saying it is like no one should talk about fixing. My dear friend we didn't bring nationality into the equation, you brought it. We are saying such practices might be against sportsmanship.

According to what I was thought sportsmanship is giving your all on the pitch and trying to win & not cheating or unfair means. 

1 hour ago, Olympian1010 said:

I didn’t get those vibes at all. Yes, they should have just finished race as individuals. I think the DSQ was a bit much. Let them have the moment and just use the photo finish to separate them, and give them a warning.

The rules say DQ. They broke said rule. DQ is the only option, literally.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

Just now, Shravan Kumar said:

There is no country in the world where some form of fixing hasn't happened in sports. So according to what you are saying it is like no one should talk about fixing. My dear friend we didn't bring nationality into the equation, you brought it. We are saying such practices might be against sportsmanship.

According to what I was thought sportsmanship is giving your all on the pitch and trying to win & not cheating or unfair means. 

True. We should definitely talk about fixing because it is a serious problem. I don’t think this case was against the principles of sportsmanship. Both had given there all, and as teammates, decided to share the win. In reality :GBR would have gotten first and second either way. What they did is not cheating in my eyes. I see it as an act of sportsmanship acknowledging each other’s shared achievement.

16 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

I guess it just doesn’t seem that big of a deal to me

Possibly because you didn't get that it's simply an important event (which is not the case for every test event, so one can understand the confusion).

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!