website statistics

Winter Olympic Games Beijing 2022 Team Sizes

About a year ago I made a prediction on the team sizes, here's the link. Let's see how I did.

First the following nations qualified, but I didn't predict.

:ERI:GHA:IND:KSA

Nations which I thought would qualify, but did not.

:CAY:KEN:PRK:RSA

Overall not too bad, the ones that I missed were not active a year ago and only qualified one athlete. Kenya technically qualified, but the athlete was not selected and I made my prediction before finding out North Korea will isolate itself until COVID passes. Cayman Islands was a bad pick since I thought an already retired athlete would try to qualify.

The following nations I underestimated (predicted a smaller team) by at least five athletes.

:DEN - 59 athletes

:AUS - 10 athletes

:POL - 6 athletes

:CAN - 5 athletes

:JAM - 5 athletes

Sorry Denmark, but in my defense they were the first reserves in curling and one win away from qualifying in ice hockey. Unfortunately for me, the nation qualified in those four team events, account for 58 athletes. I kind of knew I was underestimating Australia given its restrictive travel regulations so I'm not surprised that I was off by a lot. I also missed the mark on Jamaica considering how small their team is. I originally only had them qualifying in women's monobob, but they were able to barely sneak in the two men's events.

The following nations I overestimated (predicted a larger team) by at least five athletes.

:GER - 33 athletes

:NOR - 32 athletes

:GBR - 12 athletes

:FRA - 11 athletes

:ITA - 11 athletes

:JPN - 10 athletes

:SUI - 10 athletes

:BLR - 9 athletes

:KOR - 6 athletes

Originally I had Germany and Norway qualifying ice hockey teams which explains why they are at the top of the list, but even if we ignore that both nations would remain on the list with 10 and 7 athletes respectively. One weakness from my prediction is I didn't take into account whether a nation will decline quotas which is why you see a lot of the big European nation here.

54 minutes ago, JoshMartini007 said:

About a year ago I made a prediction on the team sizes, here's the link. Let's see how I did.

First the following nations qualified, but I didn't predict.

:ERI:GHA:IND:KSA

Nations which I thought would qualify, but did not.

:CAY:KEN:PRK:RSA

Overall not too bad, the ones that I missed were not active a year ago and only qualified one athlete. Kenya technically qualified, but the athlete was not selected and I made my prediction before finding out North Korea will isolate itself until COVID passes. Cayman Islands was a bad pick since I thought an already retired athlete would try to qualify.

The following nations I underestimated (predicted a smaller team) by at least five athletes.

:DEN - 59 athletes

:AUS - 10 athletes

:POL - 6 athletes

:CAN - 5 athletes

:JAM - 5 athletes

Sorry Denmark, but in my defense they were the first reserves in curling and one win away from qualifying in ice hockey. Unfortunately for me, the nation qualified in those four team events, account for 58 athletes. I kind of knew I was underestimating Australia given its restrictive travel regulations so I'm not surprised that I was off by a lot. I also missed the mark on Jamaica considering how small their team is. I originally only had them qualifying in women's monobob, but they were able to barely sneak in the two men's events.

The following nations I overestimated (predicted a larger team) by at least five athletes.

:GER - 33 athletes

:NOR - 32 athletes

:GBR - 12 athletes

:FRA - 11 athletes

:ITA - 11 athletes

:JPN - 10 athletes

:SUI - 10 athletes

:BLR - 9 athletes

:KOR - 6 athletes

Originally I had Germany and Norway qualifying ice hockey teams which explains why they are at the top of the list, but even if we ignore that both nations would remain on the list with 10 and 7 athletes respectively. One weakness from my prediction is I didn't take into account whether a nation will decline quotas which is why you see a lot of the big European nation here.

Who from the Caymans did you predict to qualify?

Officially confirmed Canada will have 215 athletes, with all 10 provinces and 1 territory (of 3) having representation. More facts here:https://olympic.ca/2022/01/28/by-the-numbers-team-canada-heading-into-the-beijing-2022-olympic-winter-games/

INFOGRAPHIC-V4-EN-1.png?resize=1335,754 

:SVK

The Youngest --- Juraj "Slaf" Slafkovský (Ice Hockey) 17 years (30.03.2004)

The Oldest ---- Jozef Ninis (Luge) 40 years old (28.06.1981)

Most Olympic Appearances ---- Jozef Ninis (Luge) & Alena Procházková (Cross-Country Skiing)  5th Olympics

Olympic Rookies ---- 30 of the 50 Athletes

Sets of Siblings ----- 2 (Adam & Andreas Žampa, Paulína & Ivona Fialková)

Olympic Medalists ---- 0

Youth Olympic Medalists ----  2 Petra Vlhová (2012 Innsbruck, Girls Slalom Gold), Viktória Čerňanská (2020 Lausanne, Girls Monobob Silver)

World Champions ------ 1 Petra Vlhová (2019 Are, Giant Slalom)

World Championship medalists ---- 5,  Petra Vlhová (1x G, 4x S, 1x B), Adam Žampa & Andreas Žampa (All Alpine Skiing 1x S team event 2017), Klaudia Medlová (Snowboarding - 1x B Slopestyle 2015), Libor Hudáček (ice Hockey - 1x S 2012)

World Cup Podiums ----- 5, Petra Vlhová (Alpine Skiing - 54 WC Podiums), Paulína Fialková (Biathlon - 8 WC Podiums), Alena Procházková (Cross-Country Skiing - 6 WC Podiums), Klaudia Medlová (Snowboarding - 3 WC Podiums), Jozef Ninis (Luge - 1 WC Podium)

49 minutes ago, hckošice said:

:SVK

The Youngest --- Juraj "Slaf" Slafkovský (Ice Hockey) 17 years (30.03.2004)

The Oldest ---- Jozef Ninis (Luge) 40 years old (28.06.1981)

Most Olympic Appearances ---- Jozef Ninis (Luge) & Alena Procházková (Cross-Country Skiing)  5th Olympics

Olympic Rookies ---- 30 of the 50 Athletes

Sets of Siblings ----- 2 (Adam & Andreas Žampa, Paulína & Ivona Fialková)

Olympic Medalists ---- 0

Youth Olympic Medalists ----  1 Petra Vlhová (2012 Innsbruck, Girls Slalom Gold)

World Champions ------ 1 Petra Vlhová (2019 Are, Giant Slalom)

World Championship medalists ---- 5,  Petra Vlhová (1x G, 4x S, 1x B), Adam Žampa & Andreas Žampa (All Alpine Skiing 1x S team event 2017), Klaudia Medlová (Snowboarding - 1x B Slopestyle 2015), Libor Hudáček (ice Hockey - 1x S 2012)

World Cup Podiums ----- 5, Petra Vlhová (Alpine Skiing - 54 WC Podiums), Paulína Fialková (Biathlon - 8 WC Podiums), Alena Procházková (Cross-Country Skiing - 6 WC Podiums), Klaudia Medlová (Snowboarding - 3 WC Podiums), Jozef Ninis (Luge - 1 WC Podium)

Also in the Birthplace section

The Beijing 2022 Olympic SVK Team has 4 Košice born athletes :d All Ice Hockey Players (Martin Gernát, Martin Marinčin, Tomáš Jurčo & the young Juraj Slafkovský)

Interesting enough we have 1 athlete born in other country (not counting former Czechoslovakia obviously), Marko Daňo (Ice Hockey - born in Eisenstadt :AUT )

+ Mislav Rosandič (who is on the Alternate Ice Hockey Team, preparing and ready to replace in case of covid or injury) born in Zagreb :CRO (actually half Croatian)

I see @dcro surprised here. You never heard about him before ? He is actually a pretty decent defencer, was our 2nd line defencemen last year in Riga WCh

https://sportske.jutarnji.hr/sn/sport-mix/ostali-sportovi/mladi-hrvatski-sportas-otkrio-zasto-je-s-13-godina-napustio-domovinu-i-uzeo-tude-drzavljanstvo-zelio-sam-postati-slovak-a-i-danas-bih-napravio-isto-4764236

20 minutes ago, hckošice said:

I see @dcro surprised here. You never heard about him before ? He is actually a pretty decent defencer, was our 2nd line defencemen last year in Riga WCh

https://sportske.jutarnji.hr/sn/sport-mix/ostali-sportovi/mladi-hrvatski-sportas-otkrio-zasto-je-s-13-godina-napustio-domovinu-i-uzeo-tude-drzavljanstvo-zelio-sam-postati-slovak-a-i-danas-bih-napravio-isto-4764236

Never heard of him. And seems like our NOC hasn't heard of him either, as he would have been the best flag bearer available for Beijing. :whistle:

We will never build a hockey team, so good on him to pursue career elsewhere.

#banbestmen

15 minutes ago, dcro said:

Never heard of him. And seems like our NOC hasn't heard of him either, as he would have been the best flag bearer available for Beijing. :whistle:

We will never build a hockey team, so good on him to pursue career elsewhere.

Interesting, I thougth he was more famous in Croatia.

He is good defender, actually I expected him to be in the final roster, but he ended to be the first alternate, but seeing how everything works with covid lately maybe he will make the team at the end.

Here is his probably the most briliant moment of his career, you can click on it, I moved the video to his goal moment