website statistics

Winter Olympic Games Beijing 2022 Team Sizes

The Men´s Ice Hockey Qualification as it stands now.

The top 8 nations by the IIHF World Ranking 2019 (After the 2019 IIHF World Championships) are qualified directly

At the moment it´s in this order (It may obviously change depending on the quarterfinals/seifinals/medal matches but the sure thing is it will change only between the 8 concerned teams) :SWE:CAN:RUS:FIN:USA:CZE:SUI and :GER

The ranking from 9th place is finalized and official, so we already know the groups for the OQT

The Nations ranked 9th-11th ( :SVK:LAT and :NOR ) will host the final qualification tournaments in September 2020 (Classicla round-robin group tournament, every team play once each opponent of it´s group)

The final olympic qualification groups are based according the IIHF World Ranking 2019 as follows

Group A :  9th, 14th, 15th, + the lowest ranked team from IIHF WR 2019 qualified from 2nd round  (   :SVK:BLR:AUT + Q2ndR )

Group B :  10th, 13th, 16th, + the second highest ranked team from IIHF WR 2019 qualified from 2nd round ( :LAT:FRA:ITA + Q2ndR )

Groups C:  11th, 12th, 17th, + the highest ranked team from IIHF WR 2019 qualified from 2nd round ( :NOR:DEN:KOR + Q2ndR )

Interesting is for example :SLO who participated in both last Olympics tournaments, dropped in the ranking into the 18th place, which means they will have to play already in the second round.

The Only Top Division team that must play already in the 2nd round is :GBR + the newly promoted :KAZ as well.

*Remember, this can still change, because of :CHN issue. IIHF promised to China the direct host quota but conditioned it with the need of  visible improvements of Chinese ice hockey. The IIHF congress held this week from today until Saturday in Bratislava will review it and Friday is expected to reveil the final verdict.

This thing will be highly followed not only in China but also especially in Slovakia. since if the host quota will be removed, our team will qualify directly as the 9th nation and in Slovenia, which will be then put directly into the final OQT instead of playing already in the 2nd round and in Denmark who will then host the Group C final Olympic Qualification Tournament)

The 1st round start this year in November, the 2nd round next year in February and the Final OQT as mentioned above next year in September (in order to have available NHLers) Only the winners of the 3 Final OQT will qualify for the Olympic Tournament.

Well :SVK has to play qualifying against Belarus and Austria. Because China is in.

I’m of two minds about this. A team that loses 8-0 to Croatia should not be competing at the Olympics. But China is a huge market for ice hockey, and I love the sport, so hopefully it can help there.

Edited by ahjfcshfghb

2 hours ago, ahjfcshfghb said:

Well :SVK has to play qualifying against Belarus and Austria. Because China is in.

I’m of two minds about this. A team that loses 8-0 to Croatia should not be competing at the Olympics. But China is a huge market for ice hockey, and I love the sport, so hopefully it can help there.

Yes this is just so...well, that decision pissed us off that it´s impossible to say how much...becuase I am already more than certain that Belarus will find a way to win in overtime or so against us and destroy our streak of never missing a single Olympic tournament since the independence..and just because  IIHF in one of their weak moments promissed the host direct spot to a FOURTH tier hockey nation lol

I mean China ? why ? for everything on earth why ?

If they wanted so much to show how China is improving in hockey, They should let us play against them a kinds of qualifying match, (Even in Beijing and without our NHLers, I really don´t mind)..

But well, it is how it is, hello double digit blowouts, and we all know how China don´t love to be embarassed, they are going to swallow some hard ridicul shames in 2 years.

1 minute ago, hckosice said:

Yes this is just so...well, that decision pissed us off that it´s impossible to say how much...becuase I am already more than certain that Belarus will find a way to win in overtime or so against us and destroy our streak of never missing a single Olympic tournament since the independence..and just because  IIHF in one of their weak moments promissed the host direct spot to a FOURTH tier hockey nation lol

I mean China ? why ? for everything on earth why ?

If they wanted so much to show how China is improving in hockey, They should let us play against them a kinds of qualifying match, (Even in Beijing and without our NHLers, I really don´t mind)..

But well, it is how it is, hello double digit blowouts, and we all know how China don´t love to be embarassed, they are going to swallow some hard ridicul shames in 2 years.

Honestly I’m looking forward to China being embarrassed lol. The federation is apparently intent on not naturalizing any players :rolleyes:

40 minutes ago, ahjfcshfghb said:

Honestly I’m looking forward to China being embarrassed lol. The federation is apparently intent on not naturalizing any players :rolleyes:

Ya, in hindsight South Korea naturalizing half a dozen player was a really good idea. Not only did it get them some better players but it seemed to help improve their existing players, too.

17 minutes ago, Nate River said:

Ya, in hindsight South Korea naturalizing half a dozen player was a really good idea. Not only did it get them some better players but it seemed to help improve their existing players, too.

Yeah they played a lot better in this year’s Division I. And they only had 3 naturalized players (as opposed to 6/7).

• 1 year later...