website statistics

Bobsleigh 2019 - 2020 Discussion Thread

Col_Frost

53 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

Well women’s monobob seems to be doing well for itself. 17 nations and 32 athletes are scheduled to compete in the first official race.

https://www.ibsf.org/en/news/8-bobsleigh/21365-first-ibsf-women-s-monobob-races-with-32-athletes-from-17-nations

Well, no. Monobob situation is quite depressing. They haven't an international appeal, they haven't a competitive circuits, they have nothing. Mononob deserved to be out from the Olympics, at last until a development (like FIS do with the women's nordic combined)

28 minutes ago, Gianlu33 said:

Well, no. Monobob situation is quite depressing. They haven't an international appeal, they haven't a competitive circuits, they have nothing. Mononob deserved to be out from the Olympics, at last until a development (like FIS do with the women's nordic combined)

But there is clearly more interest than women’s four. Plus, it takes less quotas, and it will reward a driver who can push fast and drive well.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

9 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

But there is clearly more interest than women’s four. Plus, it takes less quotas, and it will reward a driver who can push fast and drive well.

Which all makes it a better option than women's four, but not a good option overall (yet). Give it 4-5 seasons of solid World Cup action before thinking about adding it.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

7 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

Onestly i don't care about it. You can't make a sport Olympic if the frist race is just 3 years before OG. And it wasn't a competitive race.

It's just a sh** for me.

25 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Which all makes it a better option than women's four, but not a good option overall (yet). Give it 4-5 seasons of solid World Cup action before thinking about adding it.

Yes, that’s the point I meant to make.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

55 minutes ago, Gianlu33 said:

Onestly i don't care about it. You can't make a sport Olympic if the frist race is just 3 years before OG. And it wasn't a competitive race.

It's just a sh** for me.

It would be like Women’s Ski Jumping. The first televised World Championships was just dreadful, with only about 4-5 able to do it properly.  Took about 6 years to develop.

55 minutes ago, Grassmarket said:

It would be like Women’s Ski Jumping. The first televised World Championships was just dreadful, with only about 4-5 able to do it properly.  Took about 6 years to develop.

Yeah it’s not fun to watch when it’s like that. That’s how I remember women’s freestyle skiing being when it was first included in the X Games and such. Now the quality is much better.

I think that’s what the IBSF needed to do here. I understand there’s 5 Federations trying to shove new events/disciplines into the games, but the likes of natural track luge should have been given priority. In the end, I think adding women’s mono bob will be much better than adding women’s four-man

7 hours ago, Grassmarket said:

Same thing going to happen with women's Nordic combined.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

5 hours ago, dcro said:

Slovakian girl casually destroyed everyone at Lake Placid monobob event. :evil:@hckosice

https://www.ibsf.org/en/component/events/event/500755

She was the best by a mile there since the Germans and Romanians didn’t travel. She’ll be the highest ranked slider heading into 2020YOG