website statistics

Biathlon 2019 - 2020 Discussion Thread

RobtheAggie

Three former Russian biathletes change nationalities to Moldova.

Pavel Magazeyev, Andrei Usov and Alina Stremous

According to the article:

The athletes did not need permissions for their transfer from the Russian Biathlon Union (RBU) and the International Biathlon Union (IBU) since they never competed as part of the Russian senior national team.

It also seems that Ekaterina Shumilova also wanted to move change to Moldova, but that will not happen.  

At least Magazeev already was doing that since earlier this season. He competed at the summer world championships for Russia 10+ years ago and suddenly appeared this season with two top-5 finishes in Minsk out of totally nowhere :d 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

2 hours ago, Bohemia said:

Oh great, super sprints...

Oh for fuck's sake...they really couldn't leave that in the IBU Cup?

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

A few notes from the weekend:

Someone put up a can you name the biathlon venues - the challenge is the spelling is in French so maybe they will be spelled slightly different but worth the 10 min to see how well you can do.

Speaking of France, apparently the IBU sent the large crystal globe to Fourcade by mistake.

USA Biathlon names all of their teams for the upcoming season: - No real surprises on any of the selections for the A teams.

National Team

A Team
Women

Susan Dunklee (Barton, Vt.), A1
Clare Egan (Cape Elizabeth, Maine), A2
Joanne Reid (Grand Junction, Colo.), A3
Deedra Irwin (Pulaski, Wis.), A3

Men
Leif Nordgren (Hinesburg, Vt.), A1
Sean Doherty (Center Conway, N.H.), A2
Jake Brown (Saint Paul, Minn.), A3
Paul Schommer (Appleton, Wis.), A3

B Team
Women

Maddie Phaneuf (Old Forge, N.Y.)
Kelsey Dickinson (Winthrop, Wash.)
Hallie Grossman (South Burlington, Vt.)

Men
Max Durtschi (Ketchum, Idaho)
Travis Cooper (Kenai, Alaska)

X Team
Women

Chloe Levins (Rutland, Vt.)

Men
Zane Fields (Woodstock, Vt.)
Luke Brown (Bozeman, Mont.)

Junior National Team
Vasek Cervenka (Grand Rapids, Minn./ National Guard)
Sam Stertz (Grand Rapids, Minn./ Mt. Itasca)
Bjorn Westervelt (Stowe, Vt./ Craftsbury)
Lars Hammernes Leopold (Lillehammer, Norway/ Asker Ski Club)
Garrett Beckrich (Grand Rapids, Minn./ Mt. Itasca)
Maxime Germain (Anchorage, Alaska/ Anchorage Biathlon Club)
Helen Wilson (Eagle River, Alaska/Anchorage Biathlon Club/UAA)

The :SWE A-National Team for the 2020/2021-season has been announced. 

https://svensktskidskytte.com/nyheter/landslagstrupper?fbclid=IwAR3KYG6x9Dni1fXvplEyroDWwvnmts5HRfxPCb8C-MzGRNTAAKLqY0YQeX8

Women:

Hanna Oeberg 
Anna Magnusson
Elvira Oeberg 
Mona Brorsson 
Johanna Skottheim 
Linn Persson 
Stina Nilsson 

Men:

Peppe Femling 
Jesper Nelin 
Martin Ponsiluoma 
Sebastian Samuelsson
Malte Stefansson 

I would presume Hanna Oeberg, Elvira Oeberg, Mona Brorsson, Linn Persson are safe for most of the WCs. Anna Magnusson, Johanna Skottheim, Stina Nilsson will most likely fight for the last two WC-spots. I think Skottheim will get the chance in most of the WCs this season. Nilsson is still a wildcard, but she will most likely get her WC-debut this season. Magnusson will probably have more races in the IBU-Cup this season. 

A bit of a suprise to see Torstein Stenersen is no longer part of the A-National Team. Not that he produced any great results in the WC last season. But leaving him out of the team entirely, comes as a suprise to me. Stefansson is still young and did not show the best results in the IBU-Cup last season. However, I have read the Swedish coaches see great potential in him hence why he has been included in the A-National Team already. Sweden has five WC-spots next season. I think they will only use four spots in most of the WCs in the upcoming season. Stefansson will get his chance. I'm not sure if Stenersen will get a few WCs despite being left out the team.