website statistics

Sports Fails Thread

We have a thread about our favorite sports, about scandals, about budgets for sports in our nations but surprisingly I didn't find a thread where we could share the best funny moments from our favorite sports :d

So let me start with something which maybe isn't a clear SPORT fail, but...

It was the year 2017, and our women's volleyball team trained before the start of  European Championship, which were held in :AZE and :GEO. Our national Volleyball Association wanted to demonstrate the distance between Warsaw and Baku, and decided to show it by  using a map of Europe.

Which, according to them, looks like this:

image.png

Once again, the year was 2017 :wall:

My favourite Volleyball position: LIBERO. You ask why? Look here. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZyIOarNAONk

This little gem (the biggest international football loss ever):

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

4 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

This little gem (the biggest international football loss ever):

How is that even possible :d I'd understand Australia or New Zealand but...Vanuatu :lol:?

My favourite Volleyball position: LIBERO. You ask why? Look here. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZyIOarNAONk

well, the most bizarre fail I´ll remember in my life is the French Ice Hockey Team booking plane tickets to Krakow in Poland instead of Košice in Slovakia in 2011 for the Ice Hockey World Championships, they realized their mstake only once landing in the wrong country, they arrived to Košice by bus only few hours before their first match against Switzerland.

I swear, I remember that I never laugh so much in my life like that day  https://www.sportressofblogitude.com/2011/04/28/sacre-bleu-frances-national-team-flown-to-wrong-country-for-hockey-worlds/

Speaking of botched plane flights from 2011 :SRB Bojana Jovanovski once flown to the wrong city for a WTA event. And the distance was far greater than between Krakow & Kosice. It's not like San Diego was a new event back then even it if was played on the suburbs aka Carlsbad. But she somehow confused California with New Mexico. Stange flights too --> since she flew from Dallas to Albuquerque she must have gotten it all wrong from the start.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/tennis/14369086

• 4 weeks later...

Last night in the Tour of Utah.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

11 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Still not better than one:

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

11 hours ago, heywoodu said:

Does happen in cycling about once a season.  The other classic error - which can only happen in small races where there is no radio - is some guy goes off on a long solo breakaway, wins the stage.  Then the sprinters in the peleton do not know he has gone, race it out for second place, think they’ve won, celebrate....

Just now, Grassmarket said:

Does happen in cycling about once a season.  The other classic error - which can only happen in small races where there is no radio - is some guy goes off on a long solo breakaway, wins the stage.  Then the sprinters in the peleton do not know he has gone, race it out for second place, think they’ve won, celebrate....

Oh trust me, it happens plenty of times :d Especially in these US races where there's often some stages that are a simple local lap being done X times, which makes things confusing. The second scenario happens mostly in races where it's A to B instead of laps and, it might surprise you, it doesn't actually happen only in races with no radio :lol: 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!