website statistics

Men's Ice Hockey NHL 2019 - 2020

phelps

1 minute ago, ofan said:

That's because they found an ownership group willing to do it. Howard Schultz is a jackass

I always liked the Sonics jerseys when I was a kid. NBA in Oklahoma City is a joke tbh. They have enough teams in the desert and basically nobody cares about the Mavericks & Suns while Spurs are merely relevant because of the 5 titles & Gregg Popovich. I expect OKC will be really at the bottom of the league for the next decade now that Westbrook is gone.

Just now, phelps said:

that's also another reason...together with the local people's refusal to pay more taxes to help financing a completely new project...

Not to mention the awarding of an NHL team to Seattle was contingent on a new/renovated arena - Key Arena was not suitable to host hockey. 

Just now, Monzanator said:

I always liked the Sonics jerseys when I was a kid. NBA in Oklahoma City is a joke tbh. They have enough teams in the desert and basically nobody cares about the Mavericks & Suns while Spurs are merely relevant because of the 5 titles & Gregg Popovich. I expect OKC will be really at the bottom of the league for the next decade now that Westbrook is gone.

Yeah, there should only be about 20 teams in the NBA at the most, and Seattle should be one of the cities. It's a shame what happened, but I'm hopeful we'll see a team there in the future - most likely as a result of relocation, because I can't see the league expanding any time soon. 

1 minute ago, ofan said:

Not to mention the awarding of an NHL team to Seattle was contingent on a new/renovated arena - Key Arena was not suitable to host hockey. 

yeah...

however, I saw the project of the renovation works and it looks it will become a wonderful hockey arena in the end...

2 minutes ago, ofan said:

Yeah, there should only be about 20 teams in the NBA at the most, and Seattle should be one of the cities. It's a shame what happened, but I'm hopeful we'll see a team there in the future - most likely as a result of relocation, because I can't see the league expanding any time soon. 

There's too much money around to limit the league to 20 teams. The revenue is huge and everyone wants to take the piece of that cake. Seattle based on it's location was never a founding or historical member of any of the big leagues. Seahawks, Mariners & Sonics were all expansion teams from the 60s/70s where we had the first big influx of new markets trying to muscle past the historically big players like NY, LA, Philly, Chicago etc.

1 minute ago, Monzanator said:

There's too much money around to limit the league to 20 teams. The revenue is huge and everyone wants to take the piece of that cake. Seattle based on it's location was never a founding or historical member of any of the big leagues. Seahawks, Mariners & Sonics were all expansion teams from the 60s/70s where we had the first big influx of new markets trying to muscle past the historically big players like NY, LA, Philly, Chicago etc.

Yes I know that, I just wish it weren't the case. The league has become far too diluted and dominated by superteams. With the exception of this upcoming season, for the past 10 or so years, there have always been at most only 3-4 teams that could win the championship. 

Since this is a thread about hockey after all, Seattle was the first American city to win the Stanley Cup - so yes, they are an important historical member of one of the big leagues. It is great to finally see the sport return. 

1 minute ago, ofan said:

Yes I know that, I just wish it weren't the case. The league has become far too diluted and dominated by superteams. With the exception of this upcoming season, for the past 10 or so years, there have always been at most only 3-4 teams that could win the championship. 

Since this is a thread about hockey after all, Seattle was the first American city to win the Stanley Cup - so yes, they are an important historical member of one of the big leagues. It is great to finally see the sport return. 

Well, the hockey was still payed outdoors back then? So Seattle had the natural weather to field a hockey team :lol:

2 minutes ago, Monzanator said:

Well, the hockey was still payed outdoors back then? So Seattle had the natural weather to field a hockey team :lol:

No, it was played indoors :d 

• 1 month later...

9 Slovak youngs were selected to attend the "rookie camps" 2 of them (Fehervary and Studenič) with realistic chances to actually make it to the final team this season and raise the not very impressive amount of our 10 current NHLers (Jaroslav Halák, Zdeno Chára and Peter Cehlárik (Boston), Andrej Sekera (Dallas), Christián Jaroš (Ottawa), Erik Černák (Tampa Bay), Martin Marinčin (Toronto), Tomáš Tatar (Montreal), Richard Pánik (Washington) and Tomáš Jurčo (Edmonton).

Slovaks at Rookie Camps

Anaheim Ducks - Roman Durný (G)

Boston Bruins - Róbert Lantoši (F)

Calgary Flames - Martin Pospíšil (F), Miloš Roman (F), Adam Ružička (F)

New Jersey Devils - Marián Studenič (F)

New York Rangers - Adam Húska (G)

Tampa Bay Lightning - Maxim Čajkovič (F)

Washington Capitals - Martin Fehérváry (D)