website statistics

Swimming at the Aquatics FINA World Championships 2019

vinipereira

1 hour ago, opruh said:

(And pushing a brazilian swimmer, lol at these gossip headlines)

This was confirmed by one swimmer at the time.

You can defend him all you want, but please don't act the fool. I'm not playing a game of "you are worse because..." with you. Not my thing.

Il y a 7 heures, thiago_simoes a dit :

When you are given a second, third, fourth, fifth chance, and you've proven you are an a**hole, and your actions can be seen as a desperate attempt to hide cheating, there's no way this person can redeem himself. Even Efimova is a lot more humble when faced with criticism.

Everybody is free to choose who to admire, of course, so more power to you.

Some athletes r not good at dealing pressure outside the competitions..at this point i agree with u..but still a swimmer who wrote and keeps writing history, he answers with his medals..it's difficult for some people to see a chinese guy winning since 2011..and let's be honest many athletes do what Sun did at the ceremony (i mean sayin to Scott that he win ..) Boxers do this all the time and people love them ! Footballers too.. there's a contradiction in the standards

Edited by sportlover1993

Just now, sportlover1993 said:

Some athletes r not good at dealing pressure outside the competitions..at this point i agree with u..but still a swimmer who wrote and keeps writing history, he answers with his medals..it's difficult for some people to see a chinese guy winning since 2011..and let's be honest many athletes do what Sun did at the ceremony (i mean sayin to Scott the he win ..) Boxers do this all the time and people love them ! Footballers too.. there's a contradiction in the standards

I understand your point, but there are two things here that must be made clear:

1) The point is not "people don't like to see a Chinese swimmer winning medals". This is not about his nationality. When people complain about Sun Yang, the problem is not his origin. I understand that there is heavy bias towards Asia (yes, I read Orientalism by Edward Said  during my PhD classes) but I honestly don't think most people here are biased towards Asia. Instead, most of us can't stand Sun Yang for his actions.

2) The fact that in other sports there are athletes who act like this is really sad. It should not be the norm, and I feel bad for people who admire such bad examples not only sport, but in life.

3 hours ago, thiago_simoes said:

1) The point is not "people don't like to see a Chinese swimmer winning medals". This is not about his nationality. When people complain about Sun Yang, the problem is not his origin.

Give up, you're never gonna make people who are so stuck in "everybody hates us" - like a ton of China fanboys who support every single Chinese athlete no matter what because Chinese flag next to their name - understand that.

Edited by heywoodu

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

I think if we only look at olympic events, then the medal table would look like this:

:USA 10/8/5

:AUS 5/8/5

:HUN 4/0/0

:RUS 3/5/3

:CHN 3/2/2

:ITA 3/1/3

:JPN 2/2/3

:GBR 2/1/3

:CAN 2/0/6

:GER 1/1/0

:SWE 0/2/2

:RSA 0/1/2

:BRA 0/1/0

:GRE 0/1/0

:UKR 0/1/0

:NOR 0/1/0

:SUI 0/1/0

:NZL 0/0/1

:FRA 0/0/1

Better than expected: Italy, South Africa, Greece, Norway, Switzerland, New Zealand

Worse than expected: USA, Sweden, Ukraine

Also interesting: GB without a single medal on the women's side and Japan with only a bronze medal on the women's side, while Sweden won 4 medals on the women's side! So if we would make a medal table for women's olympic events only, then GB and Japan would have placed below Sweden, South Africa and Germany. Crazy to think that all female swimmers in GB and Japan combined were only able to win 1/4th of the medals Sjöstrom won.

Edited by OlympicsFan

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

Am I too late to comment?

At the 4x100 mixed medley relay, teams are free to choose which stroke is male and which stroke is female. Since the different strokes are different in times too, there must a perfect strategy. if it's true, why haven't the teams realized this in the past few years since this event was introduced? Why don't everyone follow the best strategy? A woman loses a lot of time in breaststroke, but much less in freestyle, so there's no point in having a woman in the breaststroke part.

2 minutes ago, Pifta said:

At the 4x100 mixed medley relay, teams are free to choose which stroke is male and which stroke is female. Since the different strokes are different in times too, there must a perfect strategy. if it's true, why haven't the teams realized this in the past few years since this event was introduced? Why don't everyone follow the best strategy? A woman loses a lot of time in breaststroke, but much less in freestyle, so there's no point in having a woman in the breaststroke part.

You would be right if every country would have their strengths equally distributed between the strokes, but that's not the case. I'm pretty sure most teams calculate their best possible time taking in consideration all combinations of male and female.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

1 hour ago, Pifta said:

In general the best strategy would be two men followed by two women, everyone knows it and most teams follow that order. But for example if the USA have Lilly King who loses 6 seconds to their best male in breaststroke and Dressel who gains more than 7 seconds on their best female in butterfly, they'll obviously chose King in the breaststroke leg.

1 hour ago, OlympicsFan said:

I think if we only look at olympic events, then the medal table would look like this:

:USA 10/8/5

:AUS 5/8/5

:HUN4/0/0

:RUS 3/5/3

:CHN 3/2/2

:ITA 3/1/3

:JPN 2/2/3

:GBR 2/1/3

:CAN 2/0/6

:GER 1/1/0

:SWE 0/2/2

:RSA 0/1/2

:BRA 0/1/0

:GRE 0/1/0

:UKR 0/1/0

:NOR 0/1/0

:SUI 0/1/0

:NZL 0/0/1

:FRA 0/0/1

Better than expected: Italy, South Africa, Greece, Norway, Switzerland, New Zealand

Worse than expected: USA, Sweden, Ukraine

Also interesting: GB without a single medal on the women's side and Japan with only a bronze medal on the women's side, while Sweden won 4 medals on the women's side! So if we would make a medal table for women's olympic events only, then GB and Japan would have placed below Sweden, South Africa and Germany. Crazy to think that all female swimmers in GB and Japan combined were only able to win 1/4th of the medals Sjöstrom won.

I will be happy if we will win two gold medals in Tokyo, one for Milák, one for Hosszú. And honestly, I feel like one gold medal would be more realistic. I think we reached a situation in women's IM where some new talent can easily beat Hosszú in Tokyo, her times aren't unbeatable anymore.

1 hour ago, Vektor said:

I will be happy if we will win two gold medals in Tokyo, one for Milák, one for Hosszú. And honestly, I feel like one gold medal would be more realistic. I think we reached a situation in women's IM where some new talent can easily beat Hosszú in Tokyo, her times aren't unbeatable anymore.

I think Milak will win a gold, he did phenomenal here.