website statistics

Fencing FIE World Championships 2019

phelps

Julia Walczyk ended with -11 score in team foil. We won 5 of 9 bouts but with such a weak link it was impossible to make up the losses.

Not gonna even mention the epic sabre team collapse. Yeah, it's sabre but from 40-32 to 41-45 is hideous :facepalm:

In the team foil final Di Francisca was simply too cheeky for her own good. Simple penalty for pure stupidity. Should have expected more from such an experienced competitor.

Inna Deriglazova is more or less the fencing P4P #1? (just gonna ask bc I don't follow this sport on daily basis).

1 hour ago, Dunadan said:

Yes, last time Fiamingo and Szasz took the European spots, Navarria and Samuelsson missed out despite being in top 8 I think.

last time Fiamingo was 1st and Navarria 2nd in the world ranking at the moment of the cut (but Navarria had to watch the Olympics on TV because of the max 1 fencer per NOC rule for the Countries that don't qualify a full team)...

that was really the most shameful casualty of this stupid procedure...

1 minute ago, Monzanator said:

Julia Walczyk ended with -11 score in team foil. We won 5 of 9 bouts but with such a weak link it was impossible to make up the losses.

Not gonna even mention the epic sabre team collapse. Yeah, it's sabre but from 40-32 to 41-45 is hideous :facepalm:

In the team foil final Di Francisca was simply too cheeky for her own good. Simple penalty for pure stupidity. Should have expected more from such an experienced competitor.

Inna Deriglazova is more or less the fencing P4P #1? (just gonna ask bc I don't follow this sport on daily basis).

she didn't do anything like that...actually, she didn't do anything wrong...she was just robbed by a biased side piste assistent...:evil::facepalm::wall:

1 hour ago, Vektor said:

btw, the Olympic qualification is simply ruthless. Popescu is currently 10th in the individual ranking and she wouldn't qualify for Tokyo

67249056_426304627968524_423873745531174

not through the OQR, but still she will have a chance at the European Olympic Qualification Tournament next June...:evil:;)

1 minute ago, phelps said:

she didn't do anything like that...actually, she didn't do anything wrong...she was just robbed by a biased side piste assistent...:evil::facepalm::wall:

Polish commentator said she was handed the second YC for removing the mask and arguining with the ref? Not to mention the ref was actually a guy from Poland ;)

Just now, Monzanator said:

Polish commentator said she was handed the second YC for removing the mask and arguining with the ref? Not to mention the ref was actually a guy from Poland ;)

he was wrong...I explained a couple of posts above why she got the red card...;)

Italian tv commentators immediately saw the assistent ref waving his hands to ask for attention by the refs...and once they ask for his help, thay can't do anything but register his decision...

he's the only one to blame...

Just now, phelps said:

he was wrong...I explained a couple of posts above why she got the red card...;)

Italian tv commentators immediately saw the assistent ref waving his hands to ask for attention by the refs...and once they ask for his help, thay can't do anything but register his decision...

he's the only one to blame...

I noticed some guy jumped in the frame and forced the ref to lose his mind. I thought that was someone from the Italian camp. Anyway, it was obvious EDF tried to do some time wasting and the ref didn't fall for the foil change trick. Not with 6 seconds left in the WC final with Italy one hit ahead. Therefore I said she was too cheeky for her own good, should have forced Deriglazova's attack and counter herself if neccessary instead of stalling the action. The mind games blew up in her face when the ref decided he wants none of that.

Today's recap...

Women's Team Foil

Gold: :RUS Russia

Silver: :ITA Italy

Bronze: :USA United States

Semifinals

Russia b. United States 45-36

Italy b. France 45-37

Bronze Medal Match

United States b. France 45-43

Gold Medal Match

Russia b. Italy 43-42

Full Ranking (and Results) here:

https://2019budapestfencing.com/files/hunfencing/2019_wfc_bud/swf-eq/index.php?page=clasfinal.htm

Men's Team Epee

Gold: :FRA France

Silver: :UKR Ukraine

Bronze: :SUI Switzerland

Semifinals

Ukraine b. China 38-24

France b. Switzerland 45-27

Bronze Medal Match

Switzerland b. China 45-35

Gold Medal Match

France b. Ukraine 45-37

Full Ranking (and Results) here:

https://2019budapestfencing.com/files/hunfencing/2019_wfc_bud/sme-eq/index.php?page=clasfinal.htm

10 minutes ago, Monzanator said:

I noticed some guy jumped in the frame and forced the ref to lose his mind. I thought that was someone from the Italian camp. Anyway, it was obvious EDF tried to do some time wasting and the ref didn't fall for the foil change trick. Not with 6 seconds left in the WC final with Italy one hit ahead. Therefore I said she was too cheeky for her own good, should have forced Deriglazova's attack and counter herself if neccessary instead of stalling the action. The mind games blew up in her face when the ref decided he wants none of that.

no, she was playing her tactics...she was waiting for the Russian attack and then go with a parè and reposte (and at the same time trying to waste some seconds on the clock, obviously...she was ahead with a few seconds to go...who wouldn't do that in the same situation?)..

the bout was stopped with 6 secs to go because there was a hit outside the target by Deriglazova...

and here Di Francisca asked the ref to change her foil...

there's nothing wrong nor illegal with that...

then came the call by the assistent ref...the main refactually didn't see anything wrong and never thought to give a red card in such situation, but he was forced to do it once the assistent jumped in...

that's how it went...

then, we can discuss all night about the call...to me, it was done absolutely in bad faith, there's no chance he saw something that never happened in good faith...

other people might have a different opinion...

for sure, it was a completely wrong call...the pictures are there to be watched...there's no way anybody can say Di Francisca used her left hand to stop Deriglazova's hit (also because that hit went on the target, but outside the useful area, with the white lamp turning on)...

Edited by phelps

2 minutes ago, phelps said:

no, she was playing her tactics...she was waiting for the Russian attack and then go with a parè and reposte (and at the same time trying to waste some seconds on the clock, obviously...she was ahead with a few seconds to go...who wouldn't do that in the same situation?)..

the bout was stopped with 6 secs to go because there was a hit outside the target by Deriglazova...

and here Di Francisca asked the ref to change her foil...

there's nothing wrong nor illegal with that...

then came the call by the assistent ref...the main refactually didn't see anything wrong and never thought to give a red card in such situation, but he was forced to do it once the assistent jumped in...

that's how it went...

then, we can discuss all night about the call...to me, it was done absolutely in bad faith, there's no chance he saw something that never happened in good faith...

other people might have a different opinion...

for sure, it was a completely wrong call...the pictures are there to be watched...there's no way anybody can say Di Francisca used her left hand to stop Deriglazova's hit (even if because that hit the target, but outside the useful area, with the white lamp turning on)...

For me the foil change decision with 6 secs. left was done in bad faith too so there is that. I blame EDF for trying to play the mind games while she's not some scrub who found herself in being afraid of winning situation. And she didn't have some rookie on the other side whatsoever. Just a very weak decision all around when it was Deriglazova in must attack mode. If EDF didn't trust her own skill to survive the final six seconds then she didn't deserve to win it.

I'm no rules expert to say whether the second YC was for blocking the target area so I'm not gonna comment on that even if that was the reason behind the penalty. I'm disappointed in EDF's behaviour in general.