website statistics

Fencing FIE World Championships 2019

phelps

1 minute ago, phelps said:

right now our friend @MHSN will be jumping for joy...Iran beat China and basically secured an Olympic spot (now they are almost sure to be the second best Asian team behind the world's no.1 KOR)...

:d not "now" because it was an hour ago. and it was a bit scary since China had 5-6 pts lead at some point because of Abedini's poor performance but Pakdaman saved the day.

yeah I think it's safe to say the Olympic spot is secured now. :toast:

women's individual Sabre, Quarterfinals

:RUS Sofya Velikaya vs :HUN Anna Marton

:FRA Cecilia Berder vs :GRE Theodora Gkountoura

:ROU Bianca Pascu vs :USA Anne-Elizabeth Stone

:UKR Olga Kharlan vs :UKR Alina Komashchuk

8 girls from 7 different Nations involved...

Ukriane is the only Country having 2 fencers, but unfortunately for them now they have to face each other in the quarterfinals, which means that they are going to win a medal (a safe medal) and don't have any chance to double it up...

and once again we have at least 1 big surprise from a non traditional fencing Nation...this time is the Greek girl, Gkountoura...

I thought that it was strange how Italy only has one chance left for an individual gold, so I started searching for the last WCh where Italy didn't win any gold medals in the individual events. And it's 1995, they won two team gold medals that year, but no individual gold medals. 

3 minutes ago, Vektor said:

I thought that it was strange how Italy only has one chance left for an individual gold, so I started searching for the last WCh where Italy didn't win any gold medals in the individual events. And it's 1995, they won two team gold medals that year, but no individual gold medals. 

yeah...don't remind me those stats...it's so painful to watch this championships...

and now big drama in women's team epee...GER is 22-21 ahead after 8 of the 9 assaults...Fiamingo vs Ndolo the last and decisive match up (basically we have already lost before the start)...

Edited by phelps

by the way, another impressive stat is the streak of Italian and/or Russian wins in women's individual Foil...now we are at 21 consecutive ITA or RUS individual gold medals...:yikes:

the last non-ITA or non-RUS winner was :GER Sabine Bau in La Chaux-de-Fonds (SUI) in 1998...

it's over! we won it!!! unbelievable!!! :yikes:

Fiamingo can still win a match at the last hit!!!!! :cheer::cheer::cheer:

this is a super imprtant result for us...we still have a chance to qualify this team (and also the other results are helping us, with Poland close to win vs SUI, KOR well ahead vs ROU and FRA and UKR already OUT...