website statistics

[OFF TOPIC] Movies & TV Series Thread

bestmen

Have seen 4/8 Best Picture nominees so far. My rankings are as follows...

• Sound of Metal
  • Promising Young Woman
  • Mank
  • The Trial of the Chicago 7

PYW notably went above my expectations, while the bottom two are just not worth it...

#banbestmen

On 14/03/2021 at 04:20, Olympian1010 said:

Avatar is currently on play in China again due to lack of new movies. I guess China would contribute another 35M-40M USD in this round of re-releasing. The next round of re-releasing in April is Lord of the Rings 1,2,3. 

21 minutes ago, dcro said:

Have seen 4/8 Best Picture nominees so far. My rankings are as follows...

• Sound of Metal
  • Promising Young Woman
  • Mank
  • The Trial of the Chicago 7

PYW notably went above my expectations, while the bottom two are just not worth it...

I really liked The Trial of the Chicago 7, but maybe it’s more domestically appealing than internationally appealing.

Here’s the full list of Best Picture noms:

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

15 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

I really liked The Trial of the Chicago 7, but maybe it’s more domestically appealing than internationally appealing.

Here’s the full list of Best Picture noms

I only watched Nomadland because its Chinese director. The atmosphere and the performing skill are definitely gorgers. I like this movie but I still think it overrated. The story itself is very much predictable and sorta over political correctness for me. Just like the B-side of the Green Book.

And also congrats Better Days representing Hong Kong nominated by Best International Feature Film. It's a very good movie about school bullying and teenagers' love and responsibility. The main actress's performing captured every viewer's heart. I highly recommend it for you guys. Below is the trailer.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

The Oscars are this sunday so it's time for my annual predictions post. Last year was a pretty good one regarding my predictions with 19/24 correct picks, but again missed the Best Picture winner - last time I got this award right was back in 2014 with 12 Years a Slave (!). This year I'm confident Nomadland will take it, but given my bad retrospect in this category, I wouldn't be surprised if I got this wrong again. But the most exciting race this year is the Best Actress category, with 4 nominees having a realistic chance of winning.

["will win" is my prediction / "could win" is my alternate prediction / "should win" is my personal ranking from what I've watched / "shoud have been nominated" is a way to remember other notable work].

Spoiler

Best Picture

WILL WIN: Nomadland

COULD WIN: The Trial of the Chicago 7

SHOULD WIN: 1. The Father; 2. Nomadland; 3. Sound of Metal; 4. Minari; 5. Judas and the Black Messiah; 6. Promising Young Woman; 7. Mank; 8. The Trial of the Chicago 7.

SHOULD HAVE BEEN NOMINATED: First Cow

Directing

WILL WIN: Nomadland, Chloé Zhao

COULD WIN: Promising Young Woman, Emerald Fennell

SHOULD WIN: 1. Nomadland, Chloé Zhao; 2. Another Round, Thomas Vinterberg; 3. Minari, Lee Isaac Chung; 4. Promising Young Woman, Emerald Fennell; 5. Mank, David Fincher.

SHOULD HAVE BEEN NOMINATED: Kelly Reichardt, First Cow

Actor in a Leading Role

WILL WIN: Chadwick Boseman, Ma Rainey's Black Bottom

COULD WIN: Anthony Hopkins, The Father

SHOULD WIN: 1. Anthony Hopkins, The Father; 2. Riz Ahmed, Sound of Metal; 3. Chadwick Boseman, Ma Rainey's Black Bottom; 4. Steven Yeun, Minari; 5. Gary Oldman, Mank.

SHOULD HAVE BEEN NOMINATED: Mads Mikkelsen, Another Round

Actress in a Leading Role

WILL WIN: Carey Mulligan, Promising Young Woman

COULD WIN: Viola Davis, Ma Rainey's Black Bottom / Andra Day, The United States vs. Billie Holiday (I couldn't decide, only Kirby would surprise me at this point)

SHOULD WIN: 1. Carey Mulligan, Promising Young Woman; 2. Frances McDormand, Nomadland; 3. Andra Day, The United States vs. Billie Holiday; 4. Vanesa Kirby, Pieces of a Woman; 5. Viola Davis, Ma Rainey's Black Bottom.

SHOULD HAVE BEEN NOMINATED: Jasna Đuričić, Quo Vadis, Aida?

Actor in a Supporting Role

WILL WIN: Daniel Kaluuya, Judas and the Black Messiah

COULD WIN: Paul Raci, Sound of Metal

SHOULD WIN: 1. Paul Raci, Sound of Metal; 2. Daniel Kaluuya, Judas and the Black Messiah; 3. Lakeith Stanfield, Judas and the Black Messiah; 4. Leslie Odom Jr., One Night in Miami; 5. Sacha Baron Cohen, The Trial of the Chicago 7.

SHOULD HAVE BEEN NOMINATED: Bill Murray, On the Rocks

Actress in a Supporting Role

WILL WIN: Yuh-Jung Youn, Minari

COULD WIN: Maria Bakalova, Borat Subsequent Moviefilm

SHOULD WIN: 1. Yuh-Jung Youn, Minari; 2. Olivia Colman, The Father; 3. Amanda Seyfried, Mank; 4. Maria Bakalova, Borat Subsequent Moviefilm; 5. Glenn Close, Hillbilly Elegy.

SHOULD HAVE BEEN NOMINATED: Olivia Williams, The Father

Writing (Adapted Screenplay)

WILL WIN: The Father

COULD WIN: Nomadland

SHOULD WIN: 1. The Father; 2. Nomadland; 3. The White Tiger; 4. One Night in Miami; 5. Borat Subsequent Moviefilm.

SHOULD HAVE BEEN NOMINATED: I'm Thinking of Ending Things

Writing (Original Screenplay)

WILL WIN: Promising Young Woman

SHOULD WIN: 1. Minari; 2. Sound of Metal; 3. Promising Young Woman; 4. Judas and the Black Messiah; 5. The Trial of the Chicago 7.

SHOULD HAVE BEEN NOMINATED: Bacurau

Animated Feature Film

WILL WIN: Soul

COULD WIN: Wolfwalkers

SHOULD WIN: 1. Soul; 2. Wolfwalkers; 3. Over the Moon; 4. Onward; 5. A Shaun the Sheep Movie: Farmageddon.

SHOULD HAVE BEEN NOMINATED: Didn't watch any other good animation films this year.

Documentary Feature

WILL WIN: My Octopus Teacher

COULD WIN: Crip Camp

SHOULD WIN: 1. Collective; 2. The Mole Agent; 3. Time; 4. Crip Camp; 5. My Octopus Teacher.

SHOULD HAVE BEEN NOMINATED: Welcome to Chechnya

International Feature Film

WILL WIN: Another Round (Denmark)

COULD WIN: Quo Vadis, Aida? (Bosnia and Herzegovina)

SHOULD WIN: 1. Another Round (Denmark); 2. Quo Vadis, Aida? (Bosnia and Herzegovina); 3. Collective (Romania); 4. The Man Who Sold His Skin (Tunisia). Not watched: Better Days (Hong Kong).

SHOULD HAVE BEEN NOMINATED: The Mole Agent (Chile), but from the shortlist I'm still gonna watch Guatemala's and Mexico's entries.

Cinematography

WILL WIN: Nomadland

COULD WIN: Mank

SHOULD WIN: 1. Nomadland; 2. Mank; 3. Judas and the Black Messiah; 4. News of the World; 5. The Trial of the Chicago 7.

Film Editing

WILL WIN: Sound of Metal

SHOULD WIN: 1. The Father; 2. Sound of Metal; 3. Nomadland; 4. Promising Young Woman; 5. The Trial of the Chicago 7.

SHOULD HAVE BEEN NOMINATED: Palm Springs

Costume Design

WILL WIN: Ma Rainey's Black Bottom

COULD WIN: Emma.

SHOULD WIN: 1. Emma.; 2. Pinocchio; 3. Mank; 4. Ma Rainey's Black Bottom; 5. Mulan.

Production Design

WILL WIN: Mank

COULD WIN: Ma Rainey's Black Bottom

SHOULD WIN: 1. Mank; 2. The Father; 3. News of the World; 4. Tenet; 5. Ma Rainey's Black Bottom.

SHOULD HAVE BEEN NOMINATED: Soul

Makeup and Hairstyling

WILL WIN: Ma Rainey's Black Bottom

COULD WIN: Pinocchio

SHOULD WIN: 1. Pinocchio; 2. Ma Rainey's Black Bottom; 3. Emma.; 4. Mank; 5. Hillbilly Elegy.

SHOULD HAVE BEEN NOMINATED: Promising Young Woman

Music (Original Score)

WILL WIN: Soul

COULD WIN: Mank

SHOULD WIN: 1. Soul; 2. Minari; 3. Mank; 4. News of the World; 5. Da 5 Bloods.

SHOULD HAVE BEEN NOMINATED: Wolfwalkers

Music (Original Song)

WILL WIN: "Speak Now", One Night in Miami

COULD WIN: "Husavik", Eurovision Song Contest

SHOULD WIN: 1. "Husavik", Eurovision Song Contest; 2. "Io sì (Seen)", The Life Ahead; 3. "Speak Now", One Night in Miami; 4. "Fight for You", Judas and the Black Messiah; 5. "Hear My Voice", The Trial of the Chicago 7.

SHOULD HAVE BEEN NOMINATED: "Rocket to the Moon", Over the Moon

Sound

WILL WIN: Sound of Metal

COULD WIN: Soul

SHOULD WIN: 1. Sound of Metal; 2. Soul; 3. Mank; 4. News of the World; 5. Greyhound.

SHOULD HAVE BEEN NOMINATED: Nomadland

Visual Effects

WILL WIN: Tenet

COULD WIN: The Midnight Sky

SHOULD WIN: 1. Tenet; 2. Love and Monsters; 3. The Midnight Sky; 4. Mulan; 5. The One and Only Ivan.

SHOULD HAVE BEEN NOMINATED: Welcome to Chechnya

Short Film (Animated)

WILL WIN: If Anything Happens I Love You

COULD WIN: Burrow

SHOULD WIN: 1. Opera; 2. Genius Loci; 3. Burrow; 4. If Anything Happens I Love You; 5. Yes-People.

SHOULD HAVE BEEN NOMINATED: Out

Short Film (Documentary)

WILL WIN: A Love Song for Latasha

COULD WIN: Colette

SHOULD WIN: 1. A Concerto is a Conversation; 2. A Love Song for Latasha; 3. Do Not Split; 4. Colette; 5. Hunger Ward.

SHOULD HAVE BEEN NOMINATED: The Speed Cubers

Short Film (Live Action)

WILL WIN: Two Distant Strangers

COULD WIN: The Letter Room

SHOULD WIN: 1. White Eye; 2. The Present; 3. Feeling Through; 4. The Letter Room; 5. Two Distant Strangers.

SHOULD HAVE BEEN NOMINATED: The Human Voice