website statistics

[OFF TOPIC] Movies & TV Series Thread

bestmen

23 minutes ago, Monzanator said:

Utterly ridiculous. 'Ben Hur', 'Braveheart' or 'Titanic' would never win an Academy Award based on these criteria :lol:

To be honest, those don’t seem like ridiculous criteria.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

On 08/09/2020 at 17:24, Olympian1010 said:

I think there’s a couple reasons.

Disney’s ridiculous business model. You have to pay for a streaming service, and then pay an additional large fee to see the movie.

The lead actress came out in support of the Hong Kong police a few months ago.

People also just hate Disney in general for versions social, political, and economic reasons.

At least here in Denmark that has been the way with movies that didn't go to the cinema due to covid

11 minutes ago, Agger said:

At least here in Denmark that has been the way with movies that didn't go to the cinema due to covid

$30 + streaming platform fee seems a little excessive to me. Plus, if Netflix, Hulu, Amazon release a film it’s generally free (besides the streaming platform fees, which aren’t bad).

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

6 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

$30 + streaming platform fee seems a little excessive to me. Plus, if Netflix, Hulu, Amazon release a film it’s generally free (besides the streaming platform fees, which aren’t bad).

I believe that's pretty close to the movies that came out while the cinemas were closed here in Denmark.
Sure it's something else than movies originally considered for streaming services and I don't quite agree with the idea, but it's just not exclusive to Disney.

1 hour ago, Olympian1010 said:

Well it is a lot of money for a movie, I admit it. But... First of all you get the movie the same day it's in cinema. Second you can watch it as many times as you want and with as many people as you want. It is like you get tickets (not one) to the cinema plus Blu-ray/DVD in one price. It's not a good deal for single person, especially if he or she won't like the movie but for families or group of friends? It's even better (unless they really enjoy cinemas but in this case they can just go there, right?).

13 minutes ago, Col_Frost said:

Well it is a lot of money for a movie, I admit it. But... First of all you get the movie the same day it's in cinema. Second you can watch it as many times as you want and with as many people as you want. It is like you get tickets (not one) to the cinema plus Blu-ray/DVD in one price. It's not a good deal for single person, especially if he or she won't like the movie but for families or group of friends? It's even better (unless they really enjoy cinemas but in this case they can just go there, right?).

Right, but Netflix, Amazon, Hulu, Apple, and HBO have all released movies directly to their platforms for free*

*besides the streaming platform monthly/yearly fee

6 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

Right, but Netflix, Amazon, Hulu, Apple, and HBO have all released movies directly to their platforms for free*

Not for free but for subscriptions. And there is another small difference because none of this platform released movies in the same time as cinemas and this movies are not necessarily available for ever. Besides I think comparing with another platforms is not accurate because Disney is making something new here. First time ever they give people a choice. Do you want go to the cinema or you prefer watch a movie at home? It's really a big thing. One step (probably) forward in movies distribution. I'm really curious what will be results of this move. Shall it be a new trend or will we forget about it quicker than we learned? But back to discusion. What is the difference between this payment and VOD? Do you boycott all VOD movies or PPV broadcasts? Besides nobody forces you to spend this 30$. We can discuss if price is right but market will answer this question. If it's too much people will not buy it. You don't have persuade them to boycott. 

And I'm sure that after Blu-ray/DVD premiere this movie will be available at Disney platform, as you said it, for free.

17 hours ago, Monzanator said:

Utterly ridiculous. 'Ben Hur', 'Braveheart' or 'Titanic' would never win an Academy Award based on these criteria :lol:

Actually they all would have. Someone on twitter researched all the Best Picture nominees in history and you would have to go pretty far into the past to find a film that would be disqualified based on these criteria. Remember that only 2 of the standards must be met, and most films would "pass" based on the Women standards alone - most films have female costume designers/makeup artists/hairstylists etc.

For me this is more a gesture towards new opportunities for underrepresented groups in the areas of apprenticeship/internship and marketing/publicity.