website statistics

[OFF TOPIC] Movies & TV Series Thread

bestmen

15 minutes ago, dcro said:

Yeah, apparently lots of fans lost their shit over Mason starting as P.I., without even bothering to see if that was supposed to be a part of character development all along. :lol:

And not all reboots are inferior by design. Usually I am not a big fan of them, but this one seems to be much less formulaic than the original. Characters are quite interesting, with plenty of depth to them. It gave me Chinatown vibes - a huge plus in my book.

Oh yeah, Ving Rhames as Kojak was a total failure while the Magnum P.I. and MacGyver reboots serve no real purpose either. Once Law & Order and CSI franchises run out of gas the Americans have no other ideas other than rebooting more vintage titles or adapt European scripts outright :p

Finally we've got time for the second season of Kingdom, Korean zombies :cheer: 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

Has anyone seen the trailer for “Boys State”? The premise is fascinating, and the story seems really compelling. I believe it won the documentary category at Sundance this year. 

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

We saw the last of 279 episodes of The Big Bang Theory two days ago, there goes our breakfast ritual :( 

On the upside: started with season two of Kingdom which again is awesome :woohoo:  

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

On 13/08/2020 at 00:32, Olympian1010 said:

Has anyone seen the trailer for “Boys State”? The premise is fascinating, and the story seems really compelling. I believe it won the documentary category at Sundance this year. 

Phew, this one’s a lot to process. It’s a fun documentary, especially if you want to learn a little bit about American culture and politics. I’ll put my thoughts in a spoiler, so I don’t ruin it for anyone who watches to watch it.

Spoiler

Lessons this doc teaches:

• Who we elect matters
  • How we evaluate political candidates matters
  • People need to take democracy more seriously
  • Populist candidates win the short run, but candidates with heart and truth build a firm base

Obviously, I’m more likely to feel sympathy for Rene and Steven, since our politics are similar. I see a lot of myself in Steven, so I really grew attached to his campaign. He ran his campaign exactly I would, and he lost. It’s a good reminder that democracies rarely select the best candidates. People are drawn to insults, division, and hate. Americans more often vote out of fear and hate than do hope and love. This doc is a good reminder of that. You can see what Steven’s campaign meant to the boys who supported him though. He built lasting relationships with people and gave them hope. Sure he lost, but in the long run, I’ll bet he’s the winner.

Rene blew it by not letting Eddy do his Q/A. I probably would have done the exact actions both Rene and Ben did in that scenario though. The thing about rules is that we love to enforce them when they work for us, but we take pleasure in breaking them when they don’t work for us.

Obviously, I’m less likely to agree with or feel any sympathy for Ben and Eddy. Like Rene said, “Ben is a fantastic politician, but I don’t think ‘fantastic politician’ is necessarily a compliment.” Eddy and Ben appealed to the other boys most primal desires: power, fear, and equity. They both made and supported pages attacking Rene and Steven. They made the other boys feel more, by making Rene and Steven less. They made the others boys fear Steven because of his support of March For Our Lives, even as their party passed bipartisan gun control legislation in the legislature. They allowed and advertised racist attacks on Rene in a way. They drew boys in from the other party by appealing to equity, while promoting the fact they only cared about getting their candidates elected. They used division to fuel hate and distrust amongst the electorate, and it worked.

Overall this film was fantastically made. I love how they used the Texas Boys State band to essentially create the scoring for the documentary. I think the filming was exquisite. The way they choose to tell this story made it feel personal. They did a great job of loosely connecting this government exercise to the American Federal Government. This was a really enjoyable documentary by all measures.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

This is so awesome. I’m so ready for this film. The visuals I’ve seen in the advertising are stunning.

Rising Phoenix releases on August 26th on Netflix. From what I can tell, and how it’s been billed, this might be the first documentary to take a real deep dive into the world of Paralympics.

Trailer: 

1 hour ago, dcro said:

Nosferatu > Dracula :evil:

@hckosice Apparently Nosferatu was partly filmed around Slovakian Tatras. :d

you mean the 1922 classic ? it was turned in Slovakia (Czechoslovakia at that time), actually around the Orava region and Orava castle

oravsky-hrad-prez-770x403.jpg?x83819