website statistics

[OFF TOPIC] Movies & TV Series Thread

bestmen

6 minutes ago, Federer91 said:

I've watched The Punisher and Daredevil and would highly recommend them. It's not at all what you'd think of comic book shows. The second season of The Punisher is one of my favorites in the last couple of years. 

That being said, DC movies >>> Marvel movies (bar X-Men ones, which are awesome) 

Is there a lot of reference between these Marvel series? I wouldn't like Arrow references in The Flash for example if I'd only watch The Flash :p 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

37 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

I say this in the kindest way possible; I think you have poor taste. I just don’t see how DC beats Marvel in any. Joker and Wonder Woman both beat the majority of Marvel movies, but that’s about as good as DC gets. It’s a slow, horrible fall from there.

Ummm, or vice-versa :d You do know that DC existed before the last 5 years? Nolan trilogy, Tim Burton's two Batman's, Richard Donner Superman, Watchmen, Road to Perdition, V for Vendetta, all better movies than any MCU. The best Marvel movies are X-Men ones and Sam Raimi's first two Spider-Mans. 

With the exception of a few films, the MCU sucks, but saying that to an american is like telling kids there is no Santa i think. :d My opinion of course.

PS. Forgot about Deadpool :d That was a great film too. 

29 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Is there a lot of reference between these Marvel series? I wouldn't like Arrow references in The Flash for example if I'd only watch The Flash :p 

Not at all. The Punisher as a character was introduced in the second season of Daredevil, but if you watch only his show, you wouldn't miss a thing, as the story is pretty much contained within the seasons. 

10 minutes ago, Federer91 said:

Ummm, or vice-versa :d You do know that DC existed before the last 5 years? Nolan trilogy, Tim Burton's two Batman's, Richard Donner Superman, Watchmen, Road to Perdition, V for Vendetta, all better movies than any MCU. The best Marvel movies are X-Men ones and Sam Raimi's first two Spider-Mans. 

With the exception of a few films, the MCU sucks, but saying that to an american is like telling kids there is no Santa i think. :d My opinion of course.

Besides V for Vendetta, most of those aren’t movies I’d rate in the top tier. The same goes for Marvel. If I’m comparing the DCEU to the MCU, then the MCU wins by a mile. 

If you haven’t watched “Watchmen” from HBO last year I highly recommend it. I’m split between that and Chernobyl as to which the “Limited Series of the Year”

We are do love our MCU. I’m guilty there. As a critic and fan or art, I hate them. As someone who enjoys some dumb action movies and some light hearted comedy, I love them.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

So far i have only watched season 1 of "The Good Doctor" and i can definitely recommend it. The same is true for the first 6 seasons of "New Girl", although it went a bit downhill after the first 2 seasons.

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

53 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

Besides V for Vendetta, most of those aren’t movies I’d rate in the top tier. The same goes for Marvel. If I’m comparing the DCEU to the MCU, then the MCU wins by a mile. 

If you haven’t watched “Watchmen” from HBO last year I highly recommend it. I’m split between that and Chernobyl as to which the “Limited Series of the Year”

We are do love our MCU. I’m guilty there. As a critic and fan or art, I hate them. As someone who enjoys some dumb action movies and some light hearted comedy, I love them.

Well, everyone has there own tiers for ranking movies with different criteria. I always try to combine and mix the artistic part (the story, writing, performances, visuals, tone, sets, music etc.), the historical relevance and with my personal feel, experience, enjoyment, emotion of the movies, when rating a film. It doesn't matter what genre it is.

If i like the film and it has the quality to back it up for me, it doesn't matter, if it's a comic book one or not. I would rate it just as high as other genres. Logan, X2, Days of Future Past, The Dark Knight trilogy are in the same boat for example as Taxi Driver, Apocalypse Now, Psycho, The Usual Suspects, The Silence of the Lambs, Pulp Fiction etc. 

My IMDB rankings are full of films, which have a 5-6 rating, but i have given them an 8-9, because i have like them in many ways. And the other side, there are those with a 7-8 rating, but for which i have given a 4-5-6 one, just because i haven't found them interesting enough. A bad film for one, could be a great film for other.   

PS. Chernobyl is one of the best TV shows ever made. Simply outstanding.

Watched the first episode of HBO Watchmen and it definitely wasn't what i was expecting. Had so much hope for it, but surrounding it with the race history of America is an exit to the door for me. Didn't continue with it.  

4 minutes ago, OlympicsFan said:

So far i have only watched season 1 of "The Good Doctor" and i can definitely recommend it. The same is true for the first 6 seasons of "New Girl", although it went a bit downhill after the first 2 seasons.

Good Doctor is a nice late night watch after a rough day of school or work.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

1 minute ago, Olympian1010 said:

Good Doctor is a nice late night watch after a rough day of school or work.

I don't know what characterizes a show that is suited for a "nice late night watch" for you, but i enjoyed the first season a lot. I don't remember the last time i was so impressed by season 1 of any show. I think the actor who portrayed Shaun did a great job and i liked that Shaun wasn't depicted as some super-genius who never makes a mistake.

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

1 minute ago, OlympicsFan said:

I don't know what characterizes a show that is suited for a "nice late night watch" for you, but i enjoyed the first season a lot. I don't remember the last time i was so impressed by season 1 of any show. I think the actor who portrayed Shaun did a great job and i liked that Shaun wasn't depicted as some super-genius who never makes a mistake.

Yes, the show offers a more realistic depiction of autism than a lot of popular media. It’s a good show. There just isn’t much to enjoy from a critical perspective. I really like “New Amsterdam” as well. Easily one of the best “feel good” shows on television right now.

I was watching an Achievement Hunter stream, and Dante Bosco (Prince Zuko voice actor) joined them for a game of “Overcooked”, and it was really weird hearing Prince Zuko talk about cracking oysters and preparing pasta :lol: