website statistics

[OFF TOPIC] Movies & TV Series Thread

bestmen

Despite some internet headaches, I was was able to watch King Richard last night. I found it throughly enjoyable. I don’t have much to judge it against yet, but it seems like a film that could get some Oscar nominations.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

• 1 month later...

I was going to post this a while back, but got distracted by the holidays. :d

The great Andy Garcia was walking in the streets of Sofia last month, when he heard a familiar tune being played. The street musician had no idea who he was, even after he sat next to him. Almost brought me to tears the whole thing. 

Let's hope this video is not blocked, as a couple have been already lol

Bahamas Prime Minister announced that all :BAH flags will be flown at half-mast in his honor.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

5 minutes ago, Monzanator said:

Hettie McDaniel won an Oscar in acting category 24 years before Poitier? Obviously he's not the first black person to win the Oscar for acting :noshake:  I find it strange in the gender equality reality of USA these days someone makes such an obvious error?

Sidney Poitier was the first Black actor to win in a lead Oscar category - this lead distinction is rather important here because Poitier was the true lead of the film and an all around movie star. 

There's a lot to unpack with Hattie McDaniel's Oscar win - yes, she was the first black person to win an Oscar, but the role was very stereotypical of the mamie stereotype and when she attended the Oscars she was relegated to the back of the room. 

1 hour ago, james89 said:

Sidney Poitier was the first Black actor to win in a lead Oscar category - this lead distinction is rather important here because Poitier was the true lead of the film and an all around movie star. 

There's a lot to unpack with Hattie McDaniel's Oscar win - yes, she was the first black person to win an Oscar, but the role was very stereotypical of the mamie stereotype and when she attended the Oscars she was relegated to the back of the room. 

The movie was about the Civil War days anyway? Revisionism sounds good in theory but a black person winning an Oscar in 1940 in ANY category sounds more impressive than Poitier winning it in 1964 at the height of Martin Luther King popularity? That decision could be seen as political while there was zero political gain to award one for a black person in 1940 (USA wasn't even directly involved in WWII yet).

• 4 weeks later...
8 hours ago, opruh said:

The Battle at Lake Changin II earned $100 million+ on its first day alone. :coffee:

Never heard of that, but it sounds pretty interesting. I'm going to check if there is a version with full English subtitles, alternate history movies and series always get my interest :d 

Spoiler

For All Mankind, for example, is something I'm currently watching, it's pretty good!

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

5 hours ago, heywoodu said:

Never heard of that, but it sounds pretty interesting. I'm going to check if there is a version with full English subtitles, alternate history movies and series always get my interest :d 

Reveal hidden contents

Since China is a benevolent country you can watch the $900 million grossing Battle of Lake Changjin part 1 with english subtitle on youtube for free. As for part 2 you have to wait for at least 3 months before it appears on youtube.