website statistics

[OFF TOPIC] Movies & TV Series Thread

bestmen

Well, I liked Nomadland best. Sound of Metal is good, as is Minari (but with obvious faults). Promising Young Woman is decent. This leaves Judas and the Black Messiah, Mank and The Trial of the Chicago 7 as the obligatory propaganda pieces.

Will watch The Father tonight.

#banbestmen

My final rankings...

Nomadland

Sound of Metal

The Father

Minari

Promising Young Woman

Judas and the Black Messiah

Mank

The Trial of the Chicago 7

Glad Nomadland and Hopkins won, don't care for the rest. McDormand having three Oscars is bizarre. Don't tell me she will tie (or even surpass) Katharine Hepburn. :wacko:

#banbestmen

On 25/04/2021 at 12:42, vinipereira said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Updating with the results: 18/23 correct picks. Happy with my predictions and overall list of winners. Only shock for me was that nothing of a song winning, and I was a little bit surprised with McDormand in Best Actress - she's great, but didn't even campaign for it. I wish Mulligan can win a Oscar in the near future.

I'm actually shocked that there are still people who value the actual craft, than the politics. So well deserved and happy for Sir Anthony Hopkins. He was the whole film, in a truly brilliant performance and one of the few brightest spots in the past year!

Yeah, Frances winning a 3rd Oscar is a bit excessive.. She is one of the best actresses of the past 30 years, but still... I think this would be it for her in terms of wins, she could get 1-2 more noms. 

Sound of Metal winning 2 Oscars is well deserved and for me it was the best film out of all. Guess Nomadland was the next in line and it could pass as a BP winner, though it would be very, very low, if we made a winners ranking. Chloe Zhao also doesn't look like a typical Hollywood nut-job and feels very genuine about her love for movies, so i don't mind her wins.  

What I loved about Nomadland is that it remains apolitical from start to finish.

In the hands of a lesser director (AKA almost any given Hollywood director these days), Nomadland would have been full of heavy handed leftist political agenda.

#banbestmen

Man, I really hope Eurovision and then EURO2020 will prove that we have finally moved on from depressing events that are completely unable to capture "the magic" of their pre-COVID version, because the Oscars wasn't that. I know the bar isn't high for the Oscars as a variety show, but that was still terrible in every way possible. Not a good sign for the Olympic Opening Ceremony (and maybe even for the Games themselves) if Eurovision will also be similarly depressing. 

12 hours ago, Federer91 said:

Yeah, Frances winning a 3rd Oscar is a bit excessive.. She is one of the best actresses of the past 30 years, but still... I think this would be it for her in terms of wins, she could get 1-2 more noms.  

She just has the best luck of any actor in terms of awards, and she got cast in great movies. I mean, is there any other actress who had lead roles in 3 movies that either won Best Picture or were the runner-up to the Best Picture winner? She might be the first actress who achieved this in the entire history of the Oscars. 

Best Picture winners or runner-ups in the last 30 years that had a leading actress nominated:

1991 - The Silence of the Lambs - Jodie Foster

1993 - The Piano - Holly Hunter

1996 - The English Patient - Kristin Scott Thomas

1996 - Fargo - Frances McDormand

1997 - Titanic - Kate Winslet

1998 - Shakespeare in Love - Gwyneth Paltrow

1999 - American Beauty - Annette Bening

2002 - Chicago - Renée Zellweger

2004 - Million Dollar Baby - Hillary Swank

2013 - Gravity - Sandra Bullock

2016 - La La Land - Emma Stone

2017 - The Shape of Water - Sally Hawkins

2017 - Three Billboards - Frances McDormand

2018 - Roma - Yalitza Aparicio

2020 - Nomadland - Frances McDormand

She was already the only actress who had two movies close to winning Best Picture in the last 30 years, and now she has 3 movies, while the other big names struggle to get cast in one, as the Oscars favors movies with male leads. Actresses like Meryl Streep or Viola Davis would probably have more Oscars if they would pick movies as "efficiently" as McDormand does. 

8 hours ago, Vektor said:

Actresses like Meryl Streep or Viola Davis would probably have more Oscars if they would pick movies as "efficiently" as McDormand does. 

Would have and should have isn't something that the Academy usually takes into account. Otherwise Al Pacino should be having 3 or 4 Oscars by now. And Streep has been overrated for the past 20 years, heaven forbid, if she chooses "better" movies as well.

I agree, that she had big luck for this year in particular. She wasn't even the favourite now, when it was such a weak year. If Nomadland came out last season no way it wins. There are like 6-7 better films from last years nominees. Three Billboards was a great movie though and deserved every award it got. It should have been Best Picture as well... There was no luck there.