website statistics

[OFF TOPIC] Movies & TV Series Thread

bestmen

Acting legend Sean Connery has passed away, aged 90.

https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-54761824

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

10 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Acting legend Sean Connery has passed away, aged 90.

https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-54761824

F..................... Nooooooooo :cry: :cry::cry::cry: 

After so many legends died this year, i was saying for a long time, please not Connery or Eastwood, please not Connery or Eastwood...

• 4 weeks later...

Watched Frida for the first time tonight. I can absolutely see why it won academy awards for makeup and original score. I thought the costuming and set design were also top class. Overall, fantastic film.

I know Frida Kahlo and Diego Rivera for their art, since it is highly revered in California, but it was interesting to learn some the backstory (even if it was highly dramatized obviously).

@mrv86 I was curious to know how they’re viewed in Mexico, having been members of the Mexican Communist Party and whatnot. All of our Spanish textbooks in the US feature their artwork, and most of my teachers/professors seem to have a positive opinion of them, so that’s why I’m curious to know what their legacy in Mexico is.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

2 hours ago, Olympian1010 said:

Watched Frida for the first time tonight. I can absolutely see why it won academy awards for makeup and original score. I thought the costuming and set design were also top class. Overall, fantastic film.

I know Frida Kahlo and Diego Rivera for their art, since it is highly revered in California, but it was interesting to learn some the backstory (even if it was highly dramatized obviously).

@mrv86 I was curious to know how they’re viewed in Mexico, having been members of the Mexican Communist Party and whatnot. All of our Spanish textbooks in the US feature their artwork, and most of my teachers/professors seem to have a positive opinion of them, so that’s why I’m curious to know what their legacy in Mexico is.

I agree with your assestment, the art in this picture is just amazing and Taymor should have been nominated for Best Director.  During the same time the movie was released I was part my high school's take on the subject, and we had the fortune to feature the actress that plays her mother in the film (she's well respected in Mexico) in our production as Frida narrating her life from her studio.

I actually read the biography the movie was mostly based from, it is a very revealing and comprehensive book, featuring parts of Kahlo's personal diary and even some correspondence with her friends, so you could actually get to know her take on herself and her art.

Rivera has been always been considered one of the best exponents of Mexican mural painting movement. Frida Kahlo, on the other hand, was mostly ignored until the late 80's, as the press mostly considered her Rivera's wife. However, before Hayek's production, theMexican film Frida, Naturaleza Viva put her on the spotlight for her art and personal story.

As for both of them being Communists, well, they were never persecuted for that, and in fact, they were more "communist" leaning than actual militants. Like most artists all around the world, they wer just vocal about supporting "the lower classes" and the "proletariat", but as every other "intelectual" in my country they were both from the upper middle class, and did very little to actually support any social project.

On 02/12/2020 at 20:54, rybak said:

I'm probably the only one here who watch this serie, but I will tell about this anyway :d 

Season 6b of Vikings will premiere on 30th December! :cheer::clap:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CITiLC9hLoM/

A lot of people have watched Vikings :d I still haven't watched 6 A, but will probably start in a couple of days to be all caught up before the final episodes. 

I'm interested to see how it will end. This is one of the very few modern shows that went trough drastic cast/character changes over the seasons and still kept a high quality for me.