website statistics

[OFF TOPIC] Movies & TV Series Thread

bestmen

On 05/09/2020 at 22:06, heywoodu said:

The only person I know who actually went to see Tenet told us (colleagues) not to waste our time with it and said his sacrifice was enough. I'm not very motivated now to go and watch :p 

I would disagree with that. The movie is quite fun in the final analysis.

Does your collegue happen to be one of those "having fun is for losers" believers? :p

#banbestmen

4 hours ago, Vic Liu said:

Why doing so?

I think there’s a couple reasons.

Disney’s ridiculous business model. You have to pay for a streaming service, and then pay an additional large fee to see the movie.

The lead actress came out in support of the Hong Kong police a few months ago.

People also just hate Disney in general for versions social, political, and economic reasons.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

I remember when Richard Gere used to complain he was blacklisted by the major Hollywood studios because of his support of Dalai Lama. How much influence do the Chinese have in Hollywood these days? Even the left-wing Hollywood is happy to boycott China but not their money? :p

17 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

I think there’s a couple reasons.

Disney’s ridiculous business model. You have to pay for a streaming service, and then pay an additional large fee to see the movie.

The lead actress came out in support of the Hong Kong police a few months ago.

People also just hate Disney in general for versions social, political, and economic reasons.

And because we don't have the most important character in this movie Mushu!

Chinese don't like Mulan and the rating is very low. But it's not boycotting just don't like it and very likely to receive a low box office result. This movie is a typical mysterious Chinese stereotype in western perspective. The make-up, buildings and people's behavior don't make sense for Chinese. People can easily feel it's just another western imagination and stereotype. It seems a lose-lose situation for Mulan.