website statistics

[OFF TOPIC] Movies & TV Series Thread

bestmen

Everyone, who hasn't, should seriously watch Broadchurch. I've watched series 1 and 2 the last week or so and i'm so impressed. Don't know how i've slept on this so long. Fantastic cast, superb writing, everything you need for perfect mystery drama series.  

Finally finished binge watching Umbrella Academy season 2 after it dropped last night. I put my thoughts in the spoiler for those interested 

Spoiler

Ugh, where to begin...

Overall, I feel pretty conflicted about season 2. The plot was rather confusing this season. There was never clearly a “bad guy” for the majority of the season. However, I think that’s a good thing since the characters are more human. They’re only motivated by emotions, power, and whims. That’s what makes this show good in my opinion. It’s a truer depiction of how humans would handle things like superpowers and time travel. My main “bone-to-pick” with this season is that it just didn’t get that “it” feeling from it like the first season. I didn’t think the plot was a compelling as the first season. There’s also a lot I did like though, so that’s why I said I was conflicted.

One thing the show does really well is represent a vastly diverse group of people, and the struggles they all face. The show tackles mental health, substance abuse, childhood abuse, sexism, racism, heroism, villainism, relational friction, LBGTQIA+, etc. Reflecting on it, I really like how each character has a their flaw because humans aren’t perfect. Humans also aren’t predictable, so neither is this show. The characters seem to grow and adapt overtime, just as humans would.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

2 hours ago, Olympian1010 said:

Finally finished binge watching Umbrella Academy season 2 after it dropped last night. I put my thoughts in the spoiler for those interested 

Reveal hidden contents

It was released last night and already before the night ended you've finished the entire season, and you call it 'finally'? :d 

I really miss the times when shows weren't released entire seasons at a time, the hype for a show is maybe a few weeks now (if even that) and then it's over :( 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

3 hours ago, heywoodu said:

It was released last night and already before the night ended you've finished the entire season, and you call it 'finally'? :d 

I really miss the times when shows weren't released entire seasons at a time, the hype for a show is maybe a few weeks now (if even that) and then it's over :( 

1 hour ago, Monzanator said:

Welcome to short attention span generation. The millenials are unwilling to wait a full week for a single new episode anymore. Those days are over :p

Still quite a bit of shows that aren't released all at once ;)

11 minutes ago, Agger said:

Still quite a bit of shows that aren't released all at once ;)

Netflix releases so many shows that it feels like majority of them are simply lost in the crowd anyway ;)

For me personally the last decade in terms of movies was lost. I was never a fan of sci-fi/fantasy crap, never watched like 5 seconds of Game of Thrones and most certainly don't bother with all the Marvel comics nonsense either.

The best TV series I watched in the last 5 years was probably 'Yellowstone' - probably because it escaped the usual political corectness bullshit and had an old school feel to it.

2 hours ago, Monzanator said:

Welcome to short attention span generation. The millenials are unwilling to wait a full week for a single new episode anymore. Those days are over :p

Ugh, just shut up for once. You do realize that no matter when I choose to watch the episodes, they are the same length as your average television episode. It took me 10 hours to watch that season. It still would have taken me 10 hours had those episodes been spread out over 10 weeks.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela