website statistics

[OFF TOPIC] Movies & TV Series Thread

bestmen

22 minutes ago, konig said:

i strongly recomend the spanish movie "el hoyo", is in netflix (at least for the spanish speakers countrys).

Is it animated, or live-action? I know a little Spanish, so with some subtitles on, it might be enjoyable for me.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

4 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

Is it animated, or live-action? I know a little Spanish, so with some subtitles on, it might be enjoyable for me.

Live-action, is about an original concept of prison, i wont say anymore, i remember you saying that our spanish is easier to understand because we talk"slowly", in this case happen the same, even if the spanish is from Spain.

The hoyo means "the hole".

Edited by konig

30 minutes ago, Werloc said:

Have you seen Legend of Korra before? It is often a very unpopular opinion, but even though I thought Avatar the Last Airbender was perfect, I got more enjoyment from watching Korra since the show felt so elavated, it built up the motives for the antagonists and explored a lot of psychological aspects.

I saw ATLA as a journey of adventure and Korra was definitely a journey of self, which really inspired me to write a bit more, because I love complex world-building and character analysis. 

Edit: it probably says a lot about me when my favourite Airbender episode was probably the one where Katara met that water bender.

Unfortunately, Legend of Korra came out when I had stopped watching “kids” shows, of course now I realize that’s a false label, so I’m excited to watch it. I have seen the first season or so. I agree that it’s my favorite of the two, of course it’s only so good because it has such good source material to go off. I like the animation style of Korra more too. One of the best things about both shows (and actually the movie to good extent) is the quality of realism around the bending. Each nation has a distinct style of martial art that resembles the different regions of East Asia. 

I’ve always heard people say that Aang was a spiritual Avatar that struggled with bending, while Korra was a bending Avatar that struggled with spirit. The shows makes great opposites, and both are pure ART if you ask me.

I haven’t quite gotten to Katara’s encounter with Hama yet, but I eagerly await it. I like how they expand on that idea in Korra as well. It’s interesting that Katara didn’t teach Korra that.

I love taking Avatar shows, so it’s great to know there’s more fans of the show on here.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

36 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

Unfortunately, Legend of Korra came out when I had stopped watching “kids” shows, of course now I realize that’s a false label, so I’m excited to watch it. I have seen the first season or so. I agree that it’s my favorite of the two, of course it’s only so good because it has such good source material to go off. I like the animation style of Korra more too. One of the best things about both shows (and actually the movie to good extent) is the quality of realism around the bending. Each nation has a distinct style of martial art that resembles the different regions of East Asia. 

I’ve always heard people say that Aang was a spiritual Avatar that struggled with bending, while Korra was a bending Avatar that struggled with spirit. The shows makes great opposites, and both are pure ART if you ask me.

I haven’t quite gotten to Katara’s encounter with Hama yet, but I eagerly await it. I like how they expand on that idea in Korra as well. It’s interesting that Katara didn’t teach Korra that.

I love taking Avatar shows, so it’s great to know there’s more fans of the show on here.

Yup, the label 'kids' shows and the collocation of animation being for kids is definitely one of the reasons why a lot of people don't give such shows or anime a try. Legend of Korra is most definitely not a kids show and the reason why it was that good is as you said, good source material to go off as well as the creators growing together with the audience that grew up watching Aang & gang.

Korra is somewhat a coming-of-age story while battling with a lot of struggles and also emphasising the point that the biggest enemy that we face is usually ourselves. And it also perfectly shows that most battles are not physical, but mental. 

I could probably flood this thread talking about Avatar and many other shows that I've watched :p I can't even begin to explain how much I love the animation medium, to the extent where I can say that I often get pissed off when I try to watch a serious Netflix show, because their writing, world building and character development is usually appaling compared to Japanese animation. All of my favourite psychological/mystery/crime shows come from that medium and I gave a lot of "real-life" shows a chance already to often see myself disappointed :d

1 hour ago, Werloc said:

While Netflix is probably swimming in all of that sweet streaming money, I'm somewhat completely ignoring them since the winter season (after I watched the Witcher of course :)) and devoting myself to Anime that have a lot of episodes, because it was always too difficult to commit myself to them when I had less time. So watching a lot of classics that I've had my eyes on for a couple of years and I'm enjoying the journey that life threw at me even if I get sad every time I look out the window to see empty streets. 

Please tell me you're not one of those weird people I recently discovered exist, who watch anime episodes on double the speed "because I don't really like this one so much but then I can check it off as watched"? :d 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

21 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Please tell me you're not one of those weird people I recently discovered exist, who watch anime episodes on double the speed "because I don't really like this one so much but then I can check it off as watched"? :d 

Oh gosh, I am extremely meticulous when picking what I'll watch. It might sound a bit pretentious, but so far I haven't seen that many bad shows, because I'm at that point of my life where I know what I'll like. 

I only had to drop two shows, one had decent animation, but no substance in the story, one had better storytelling, but zero animation :p

1 hour ago, Federer91 said:

Lol they canceled Big Brother Canada 8. First time i see a high profile reality show season being canceled midway, since the show was four weeks in. 

Big Brother seasons still going on in Germany, Brazil, Sweden, Israel i think.  

I don't know if it's changed by now, but in Germany they didn't know a thing about this whole virus thing yet a week ago or so. The video of the candidates in Canada being told is pretty interesting. Imagine going in with only some relatively minor news about some virus in China that you might have heard, and now being told it's gone worldwide and half the world is coming to a halt.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!