website statistics

[OFF TOPIC] Movies & TV Series Thread

bestmen

Big upsets as Roma loses best picture and Close loses best actress. I’m really sad that BlackkKlansman didn’t do well. Happy for Bao too. Really wanted Dentainment to win and cause controversy, but...oh well. I’m really curious to see Capernaum now too (even though it didn’t win).

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

4 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

Big upsets as Roma loses best picture and Close loses best actress. I’m really sad that BlackkKlansman didn’t do well. Happy for Bao too. Really wanted Dentainment to win and cause controversy, but...oh well. I’m really curious to see Capernaum now too (even though it didn’t win).

Roma losing wasn't an upset. As I said earlier, I was almost sure they would reward a more popular movie than Roma.

11 hours ago, vinipereira said:

Reveal hidden contents

Btw, edited my predictions with the winners. 19/24 correct guesses, which is my best result in years, but AGAIN picked the wrong Best Picture (I suspect it was a toss-up between those two). Of the 5 wrong predictions, my alternate prediction was the winner.

Overall, a night with some good awards but I can't really get into Bohemian Rhapsody winning FOUR oscars, more than any other movie. That movie was pretty lame. Sad for Close but Colman had the best performance + the speech was great + it was the only surprise of the night (in a ceremony which I hoped for much more unexpected results).

2 minutes ago, LDOG said:

It was easy to predict best picture. No way a foreign language film would win it. 

Well, I think it has more to do with the content than the fact that is foreign. Times have changed a little and something like Life is Beautiful (just naming an extremely popular foreign Best picture contender from the past) could win in a year like this.

But yes, that plays a huge difference + it was a Netflix movie and the Academy maybe doesn't want to award one of their productions in the big category. Still, 3 Oscars is something to be proud of.

hace 5 minutos, vinipereira said:

Well, I think it has more to do with the content than the fact that is foreign. Times have changed a little and something like Life is Beautiful (just naming an extremely popular foreign Best picture contender from the past) could win in a year like this.

But yes, that plays a huge difference + it was a Netflix movie and the Academy maybe doesn't want to award one of their productions in the big category. Still, 3 Oscars is something to be proud of.

I think it's not a random circumstance that Iñárritu and Del Toro films won it when they were in english and this one didn't.

6 minutes ago, LDOG said:

I think it's not a random circumstance that Iñárritu and Del Toro films won it when they were in english and this one didn't.

But those movie were arguably more accessible/popular that their competition (Boyhood/Three Billboards), unlike Roma which was an "artsy" movie in style compared to its close competitors. I'm not saying language hasn't played its part, but I see maybe in the next decade that barrier being broken - or at least I hope so.

Anyway, of the last 6 best Director prizes, 5 went to mexicans (2x Cuarón, 2x Inarritu, 1x del Toro). So I guess del Toro wins the next one :evil:

Apparently Spike Lee went off after Green Book won Best Picture, caused a real scene off-camera. Poor form

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela