website statistics

Countries you tend to cheer for that you don’t live in

Basically almost all small nations will be supported by me.. Except countries like Bahrain or Qatar who shamelessly "buy" athletes, but hey I'm still glad when Nasser Al-Attiyah won his medal.

Despite I'm half Chinese, I always hope anyone will stop China from getting too many medals

6 hours ago, thiago_simoes said:

My current profile pic also shows support for Palestine, so it's easy to assume which country I'm never rooting for. Also, I don't ever root for Iran, though the Iranians here are great people and I really enjoy Iranian films. But as a gay man I can never root for a country where gay people are killed by the government.

as far as I know not a single person got killed in Iran for being gay. at least not in recent history. yes that's within the rules but never applied (intentionally) and that's there just to prevent people from being publicly gay.

16 minutes ago, MHSN said:

as far as I know not a single person got killed in Iran for being gay. at least not in recent history. yes that's within the rules but never applied (intentionally) and that's there just to prevent people from being publicly gay.

That’s almost as bad. I would imagine the suicide rate among LGBTQ are high, I could wrong and studies are probably non-existant. That’s what happened here in the US. The Mormon Church outlawed the LGBTQ community, and suicide rates among mormon teens were the highest in the nation. Though, that said US suicide rates are extremely high for other reasons too.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

7 hours ago, thiago_simoes said:

My current profile pic also shows support for Palestine, so it's easy to assume which country I'm never rooting for. Also, I don't ever root for Iran, though the Iranians here are great people and I really enjoy Iranian films. But as a gay man I can never root for a country where gay people are killed by the government.

Do you think Palestine treats LGBTQ community with respect? 

1 minute ago, Olympian1010 said:

That’s almost as bad. I would imagine the suicide rate among LGBTQ are high, I could wrong and studies are probably non-existant. That’s what happened here in the US. The Mormon Church outlawed the LGBTQ community, and suicide rates among mormon teens were the highest in the nation. Though, that said US suicide rates are extremely high for other reasons too.

that's bad but still just ignoring a community is different than hunting and killing them.

yes studies are non-existant about this matter in Iran but I can imagine even if there are suicide, that's because their parents/family don't accepting them. not really because of the government. but you tell me how many parents in USA can "easily" accept their children being gay ? the same problem here. probably just more. nobody cares about what government thinks as long as they don't act.

1 hour ago, Dolby said:

Do you think Palestine treats LGBTQ community with respect? 

I don't, but the issue here is a lot more complicated. I don't exactly root for Palestine, but I support their right to exist as a nation. The reason I mentioned Palestine is because I never, ever, root for Israel, especially in gymnastics.

2 hours ago, MHSN said:

From what I've read, judges (or whoever is responsible for declaring the death penalty) attribute nonexistent crimes to LGBT people so they can be killed. I wouldn't doubt it. Forging a murder, rape or any other serious crime just to kill someone for being gay is something I honestly expect from Iranian justice system.

This is not to say Brazil is a safe haven for LGBT+ people. On the contrary: Brazil is the number 1 country in the world when it comes to murders of LGBT+ people. Protestantism in Brazil is getting stronger and stronger, and Brazilian Protestantism is as dangerous to LGBT+ people as any other radical religion. 

5 minutes ago, thiago_simoes said:

From what I've read, judges (or whoever is responsible for declaring the death penalty) attribute nonexistent crimes to LGBT people so they can be killed. I wouldn't doubt it. Forging a murder, rape or any other serious crime just to kill someone for being gay is something I honestly expect from Iranian justice system.

not sure where you read that but that's 100% wrong. the judicial system in Iran is terrible for other reasons but if they want to "kill" someone for homosexuality they don't need excuse, there is death penalty for that but they just don't want to use it, they were told to simply ignore that. even if you go to the court and insist you are gay, they will say he is crazy, let him go. they mostly consider homosexuality as "illness" not crime.

sometimes it's amazing for me how people have a completely wrong image about my country. because of that sometimes it's hard for Iranian sport federations to hire foreign coaches, of course all of them changed their mind after coming to Iran.

btw I'm not defending anything, I hate so many things about the current regime in Iran, just explaining the situation.