website statistics

Countries you tend to cheer for that you don’t live in

8 hours ago, MHSN said:

well there are some stupid people here in my country that enjoy to generalize and call them all "Arab countries" which is shameful but I know well enough about all countries in the region and to me it's just Saudi Arabia and it has nothing to do with politics. I usually even support athletes from Egypt, Tunisia, Kuwait and Oman (Bahrain was in my list before they start buying athletes left and right)

Iran and Egypt has no political relationships for decades (for a stupid reason though) but I can say for example Mohamed Salah is VERY popular here. it's not about politics. I really don't want to go further because If I do I have to say some not-good things about the country in general.

Yeah that's fine, I can understand for someone in one of said countries keeping track of the relationships is a billion times easier than it is for total outsiders like me :p 

Thanks, keep up the cheering :d 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

8 hours ago, Olympian1010 said:

Can I have a link to said form. I want to see what secrets you guys are hiding from us

https://forum.fok.nl/

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

37 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Looks suspicious :mumble:. Never trust the Dutch. Their speed skating coaches can’t even count laps properly...

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

I generally would support SRI, PAK, NEP and BHU because they are neighbours and if they improve their standards we would have better competition in llocal contests, and also bring more people into sport viewage in our country ........................... I personally like Iran and  Thailand  and support them , they are generally around our level at the asian games .......... so would not support Jap , Kor or china as they are the super dogs at the asian level........... Love Kenyan runners especially Rudisha so would support them , have a soft spot for Cuba and would support them in general ................ and possibly Brazil and South Africa again similar nations to India on the world stage ................ Also Egypt, Tunisia , Algeria and other African countries  in general underdogs to Europe and USA but superb talent in some places 

strength does not come from physical capacity but from an indomitable will. - Gandhi

Mostly pro-athlete oriented, but in general, I don't have clear favourite. Usually those are small countries. I support :ISL a lot, their silver medal in handball at Olympics was marvelous, their Euro 2016 run was great. In women's tennis I used to support a lot :PAR and :MAD also, I would love to see :RSA in women's tennis as well. Lloyd Harris is finally in top 100, so men's tennis is still holding, but women's is non-existing now. 

Additionally, I tend to cheer for :IRI, but the sentiment I get is mostly due to culture, history and arts. I have a very close friend from Iran and would love to visit the country one day.

Ahh, how I could forgot :FIN! I grew up watching Janne Ahonen, was always cheering for Tero Pitkamaki and hated when Thorkildsen always ends up winning :d 

From the big powerhouses, I do cheer for Australia and Canada at Olympics. They usually end up with a lot of medals but their gold medal tally is surprisingly low sometimes :( 
Also, it is really difficult for me to choose between Argentina and Brazil. Brazil's volleyball is inspirational for me, but I hate those times Brazil beat Serbia in heart-breaking matches in World league :d . 

Ukraine :UKR in athletics (mostly women's)

Finland :FIN in ice hockey and ski-jumping

Germany :GER at football (not above England :ENG but above the other home nations and Ireland)

Edited by andyjgt

On 03/06/2019 at 14:06, Olympian1010 said:

Damn! You just did Uruguay dirty.

Also, I totally agree with what you said about the US and China, and to be fair when I watch the Olympics McDonalds and Coca-Cola advertising is everywhere, so it does feel like you’re cheering for them almost (which is just disgusting)

I cheer against china because they are always our biggest competitor on top of the medal standings, but i wont apologize for cheering for USA, i'm an american(and israeli) and want the most success from my home countries

:JPN Japan. I'm a Japanophile: I love the culture, the language (I've taken classes for three years), the cuisine, and of course I love video games (total Sega fanboy). Not really a fan of anime and manga, though I've been a fan of Saint Seiya/The Knights of Zodiac since I was a child.

I also love it when smaller nations get medals in gymnastics.

My current profile pic also shows support for Palestine, so it's easy to assume which country I'm never rooting for. Also, I don't ever root for Iran, though the Iranians here are great people and I really enjoy Iranian films. But as a gay man I can never root for a country where gay people are killed by the government.

hace 38 minutos, thiago_simoes dijo:

My current profile pic also shows support for Palestine, so it's easy to assume which country I'm never rooting for. Also, I don't ever root for Iran, though the Iranians here are great people and I really enjoy Iranian films. But as a gay man I can never root for a country where gay people are killed by the government.

To be fair, I think that's an issue in a lot of other countries as well... 

18 minutes ago, LDOG said:

To be fair, I think that's an issue in a lot of other countries as well... 

Mostly Arabic-speaking nations thanks to religious issues, of course, though some nations in the Caribbean are also part of this list. But since the thread is about what nations we root for, there's no point in listing other nations for which I'll never root for.