website statistics

Countries you tend to cheer for that you don’t live in

I’ve always had a soft spot for small countries when it comes to sports, so I was wondering what countries you guys cheer for outside your own? This is the place to discuss being a sports fan of a Nation other than the one you live in.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

I’ve always had a soft spot for Liechtenstein and Kazakhstan for reason. I’ve liked them for as long as I can remember. I actually used to cheer against  the US when we would play one of those two countries

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

Well, I like orange :D I remember that during Euro2008 I watched Italy vs Netherlands with my shirt of Netherlands as a consequence of a bet with my friends :D apart from this, when Italy is not present I cheer for other countries I’d like to go live in, so tipically Switzerland, Netherlands, Norway, Sweden or Canada

2 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

I’ve always had a soft spot for small countries when it comes to sports, so I was wondering what countries you guys cheer for outside your own? This is the place to discuss being a sports fan of a Nation other than the one you live in.

good question...

normally, I cheer for the underdogs, no matter where they come from...

then I usually have a soft spot for really small States (San Marino above all, for obvious reason)...

among the other Nations, I always have a positive feeling for "my neighbours", Switzerland...

on the other hand, I don't have any sympathy for those big Countries that already win a lot and feel the unstoppable need to do it with arrogance or cheating (and here we have the "greats" of the world in the front row: USA, China, Great Britain, Russia more than others...but in general, all the "serial cheaters" are not among my favourites)...

then I should say also something about my feeling for those Nations making their dirtiest interests at expense of Italy...but this has nothing to do with sports and would clearly be off topic in this thread...:offtopic:

In general: small, or better yet, unexpected countries

Apart from that I really just try to decide who I like based on the athlete and not so much the flag that happens to be behind their name.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

10 minutes ago, Jur said:

I always root for Andorra

Well if your from Catalonia you’re in the most technical already from Andorra.

Edited by Olympian1010

Nations I always support are:

:ISL Iceland (Always loved their handball team and it started my support for other Icelandic athletes.)

:IRL Ireland (Sonia O'Sullivan started my support for Ireland. Maybe one more thing, but nothing related to sports. My parents obsession with Johnny Logan have maybe subconsciously made me support Ireland when I began watching sport.)

:SLO Slovenia (Started with ski jumping, Primosz Peterka. I have since supported them in Winter Sports.)

:SVK Slovakia (Actually this didn't start because of a victory, but a loss. It was back in 2005 where Slovakia lost in the Davis cup Final to Croatia and I felt so sad for them that I started to follow Slovakia in many sports. This match also started my hate relationship towards Croatia in sports. Sorry @dcro :()

:ZIM Zimbabwe (The Black Brothers in tennis and Kirsty Coventry in swimming.)

:URU Uruguay (From football. I began to research about them and found out they won the first World Cup, which my 9-year-old self at that time thought was amazing for such a small country.) 

Edited by wumo26

Uh for example I adore Dutch women's swimming team (especially Kromowijojo) and van den Hoogenband of course and I don't know why :d Maybe because the speaker on our national tv station has always supported the Dutch swimmers. But I really adore them, like they are from Serbia.:lol:

Also I support Russia in few sports (fencing, judo and swimming)

And I adore all the countries of South America and I always cheer for them.

Edited by dareza