website statistics

Women's Rugby Sevens SR South American Olympic Games Qualification Tournament 2019

Totallympics

26 minutes ago, Nate River said:

Any chance there will be a stream? IIRC last time no qualifier (other than the men’s repechage) had a stream.

I do remember the stream from TYC or something like that from Argentina if I´m not wrong, from the South American Qualifier tournament for Rio. I remember the :COL win since it was the first time in my life I watched this sport :p and I admit It was really fun to watch

34 minutes ago, hckosice said:

I do remember the stream from TYC or something like that from Argentina if I´m not wrong, from the South American Qualifier tournament for Rio. I remember the :COL win since it was the first time in my life I watched this sport :p and I admit It was really fun to watch

Honestly, 7s is one the most understandable and watchable sports. It’s pretty much the same story about how I discovered it (except for the fact that is was bored in my mandatory religion class one, so I decided to watch the 7s World Series). It’s super entertaining, the matches aren’t terribly long, and it always has a type of party atmosphere to it.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

For regular XV watchers sevens is incredibly dull. Barely any strategy involved, you just have to search the 7 most athletic guys you can. If they also happen to have the handling skills of the fijians, then you have a gold medal contender team.

14 minutes ago, LDOG said:

For regular XV watchers sevens is incredibly dull. Barely any strategy involved, you just have to search the 7 most athletic guys you can. If they also happen to have the handling skills of the fijians, then you have a gold medal contender team.

Good thing I'm not a reguler XV watcher I guess, generally I find that one to be rather dull and slow-moving and I enjoy 7's a lot more :p 

Although I guess both have their charms.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

hace 7 minutos, heywoodu dijo:

Good thing I'm not a reguler XV watcher I guess, generally I find that one to be rather dull and slow-moving and I enjoy 7's a lot more :p 

Although I guess both have their charms.

You are rugby noob then :p

My problem with the sevens is that things like line outs, scrums and kicking in general (except for the kick off) are rendered almost meaningless while they play a huge part of strategy in XVs.

Of course, if you only want to watch tries being scored you will like sevens more. Maybe that's why americans like it...

2 minutes ago, LDOG said:

Oh, absolutely. Sevens is perfect for me, during regular rugby I generally just let my attention slip away and end up missing pretty much everything :p 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

1 hour ago, JoshMartini007 said:

Yeah, XV is better if you know what's going on and like strategy, sevens is better if you don't know how the game is played.

Or if you appreciate a more action packed, faster paced game.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

1 hour ago, LDOG said:

My problem with the sevens is that things like line outs, scrums and kicking in general (except for the kick off) are rendered almost meaningless while they play a huge part of strategy in XVs.

But XVs just lack pace. It’s takes too long and the game is so slow. I will agree that some of the more spectacular elements of rugby can be found there though. XVs popularity will decline I think, at least worldwide, especially as most young athletes will begin to focus on Sevens.