website statistics

Men's Ice Hockey Tournament at the Winter Olympic Games Beijing 2022

hckošice

NHL want their 82 matches regular season that´s all. There no problem with Beijing nor the Olympics. It´s all about the owners and their money. removing so many postponed matches is just unthinkable option in a world where the only thing which matter is dollar.

It was quite obvious last couple of weeks, since the NHL started postponing games and first starting rumors about playing those postponed matches during the Olympics that the NHLers will not be in Beijing. A 2 weeks break in February is just too many days without making money :lol:

4 hours ago, hckošice said:

NHL want their 82 matches regular season that´s all. There no problem with Beijing nor the Olympics. It´s all about the owners and their money. removing so many postponed matches is just unthinkable option in a world where the only thing which matter is dollar.

It was quite obvious last couple of weeks, since the NHL started postponing games and first starting rumors about playing those postponed matches during the Olympics that the NHLers will not be in Beijing. A 2 weeks break in February is just too many days without making money :lol:

You got that right.  The NHLPA wants the Olympics on behalf of their players.  The owners hate it.  So they will absolutely use COVID and the postponements to say they need the February break to make up all of those games.  That plus the prospect of being quarantined in China for weeks on end.  It's all unfortunate for the players and especially the fans who were hoping for NHL participation, but it seems like it's not meant to be

15 hours ago, intoronto said:

Canada will end the games with 0 gold medals at this rate. 

I know that is a very pessimistic viewpoint but honestly...

I'm in Beijing now, 15 minutes from the hockey venue.  I took this job a few years ago with visions of seeing Team Canada play.  Now....I'll be lucky if I get to see a bobsled session.  I've been waiting years for this moment, for the whole Olympics to be in the city I'm living in, and it's just poof, gone.  I'll watch it in my living room like I could have done from anywhere in the world.  

I know this might be controversial, but screw covid.  

Multiple (as in, almost all) media outlets are reporting that the NHL and the NHLPA have agreed that sending players to the Olympics is not going to happen.

At this rate we'll go ten years between best-on-best International ice hockey (2016 World Cup to 2026 Milan Olympics).

41 minutes ago, NearPup said:

Multiple (as in, almost all) media outlets are reporting that the NHL and the NHLPA have agreed that sending players to the Olympics is not going to happen.

At this rate we'll go ten years between best-on-best International ice hockey (2016 World Cup to 2026 Milan Olympics).

This is more than obvious that there will be no NHLers in Beijing. It is just a matter of hours/days they will announce it officially.

I mean, most of European teams are already preparing squads for the games from european clubs players, our team staff already indicated they basically are not longer counting on overseas players reinforcements.

Which is quite sad obviously but in other hand (We should send a similar team from the Riga World Champs combined with players from the last two international break tournaments so should be some real unexpected olympics experiences for our young #cortina2026generation talents like Slafkovský and Nemec whom should be part of the Olympic team already at 17 years - would be incredible to play the U18 Worlds, upcoming U20 Worlds, Senior World Champs and Olympics at the same year lol)