website statistics

Men's Ice Hockey Tournament at the Winter Olympic Games Beijing 2022

hckošice

On 24/04/2020 at 11:08, hckosice said:

Same format as 2010, 14 and 18, all teams are assured to play the play-offs (Group winners and best 2nd team will have a bye for the quarterfinals everyone else advance to the play-offs repechage), so even last team of a group can eventually still finish the tournament as medalist.

Oh, yes, of course.  In 2018 Canada was the best 2nd place team and made it to the quarters.  So I mean I expect Canada to either do that again or make it through the first round no problem.  But the quarters will get dicey, as they met Finland last time and squeaked out a win.  

But maybe the NHL will be so damaged by covid19 that they decide they need the advertisement of the Olympics and allows their players to play again.  A boy can dream...

9 minutes ago, orangeman said:

Oh, yes, of course.  In 2018 Canada was the best 2nd place team and made it to the quarters.  So I mean I expect Canada to either do that again or make it through the first round no problem.  But the quarters will get dicey, as they met Finland last time and squeaked out a win.  

But maybe the NHL will be so damaged by covid19 that they decide they need the advertisement of the Olympics and allows their players to play again.  A boy can dream...

The NHL wants to expand to the Chinese market, so there’s some speculation that the NHL might already be considering that. I doubt we’ll see NHL players, but only time will tell.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

4 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

The NHL wants to expand to the Chinese market, so there’s some speculation that the NHL might already be considering that. I doubt we’ll see NHL players, but only time will tell.

Yes, true.  But who knows how this pandemic will affect decisions moving forward.  Will owners who have lost millions with this and possibly already lost significant chunks of two consecutive seasons want to interrupt another season and risk injury to their players?  I was doubtful before covid, I'm even more doubtful now.  But if the last few months have taught me anything, it's that I can't predict what will happen in the future.  

1 hour ago, orangeman said:

Yes, true.  But who knows how this pandemic will affect decisions moving forward.  Will owners who have lost millions with this and possibly already lost significant chunks of two consecutive seasons want to interrupt another season and risk injury to their players?  I was doubtful before covid, I'm even more doubtful now.  But if the last few months have taught me anything, it's that I can't predict what will happen in the future.  

AMEN TO THAT.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

• 8 months later...

IIHF confirmed the dates for the FQT. Also the biggest robbery of all times the host quota for :CHN (Apparently China is already trying to include couple of north-americans with more or less distant chinese ancestry to their team...to name a few of them

• Brandon Yip
  • Cory Kane
  • Lucas Lockhart
  • Greg Squires
  • Zach Yuen
  • Victor Bartley
  • Brayden Jaw

Still will not help to justify that scandalous free quota)

so no changes there, the 3 final tournaments in  :SVK:LAT and :NOR will be played as schedulled from 26th to 29th August this year.

Womens have still all 3 qualifying rounds remaining, the 1st round in August (same date as M FQT), the 2nd round in early October and he final qualifiers in November in :CZE:GER and :SWE

Canada already announced the name of the M team GM, Doug Anderson will coach the team in Beijing (If the NHLers will play), however NHL and NHLPA in the past also have already commited to participate in the next 2 WOG (Beijing & Cortina). Obviously it is still not official and definitive.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

All our NHLers declined invitations for different reasons...we are fu..ed ! :(

So we will have to try the miracle now just via players from European leagues and a couple of youngsters from AHL(NHL) like Studenič, Feherváry, Jaroš, Daňo orJurčo...

10 minutes ago, hckošice said:

So we will have to try the miracle now just via players from European leagues and a couple of youngsters from AHL(NHL) like Studenič, Feherváry, Jaroš, Daňo orJurčo...

Do they even care? Ffs

11 hours ago, hckošice said:

Well now we know why:

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/report-nhlpa-advising-players-not-play-olympic-qualifiers/