website statistics

Winter Universiade 2021

Totallympics

2 hours ago, Olympian1010 said:

I might die of “neon exposure” by the end of these games. The brightness of their theme really hurts my eyes.

I like the two blue uniforms. The red one is UGLY

3 hours ago, bmo said:

I like the two blue uniforms. The red one is UGLY

That sir, is pink. The theme colors for Lucerne 2021 are dark blue, sky blue, hot pink. It should be illegal. Just take a look at their website: https://www.winteruniversiade2021.ch/en/

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

• 2 months later...

Woke up to this email from Lucerne 2021 this morning:

”Dear Fans of the Winter Universiade 2021
Dear Sir or Madam

With our slogan "Welcome home", we wanted to welcome the participants of the Winter Universiade to beautiful Central Switzerland and Lenzerheide in January 2021. Unfortunately, we have decided together with the International University Sports Federation FISU and Swiss University Sports that the Winter Universiade cannot take place from 21 to 31 January 2021 as planned.

The main reasons for the decision were, firstly, the epidemiological situation and, secondly, travel restrictions, in particular for entry into Switzerland. Currently, many of the registered participants are highly affected by the restrictions, among others the large delegations, such as the USA, Russia, China and Kazakhstan. Unfortunately, there is not much prospect of this situation changing in the coming months. Under these circumstances, it is regrettably not possible to hold a world sports event such as the Winter Universiade in January 2021.

After more than four years of preparation, it is a painful decision, but in the end the right one. The health of all the participants has always been the top priority in our evaluations.

Over the coming weeks, we will examine a possible postponement of the event to a later date together with the International University Sports Federation FISU and Swiss University Sports. This will now take several weeks to evaluate. We will inform you as soon as we have more information.

I would like to take this opportunity to thank our OC members as well as all our partners for their great commitment and support. I would be delighted if you would still like to participate at a later date and we could count on your support.

Yours in sport
Guido Graf
President Association Winter Universiade Lucerne-Central Switzerland 2021”

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

I hope there won't be any eligibility issues, considering this is Gabriela Neres' only chance left to compete.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

FISU announce the entries in the team sports today.

Women’s Ice Hockey: :CAN:JPN:CHN:RUS:SUI:USA

Men’s Ice Hockey: :CAN:CZE:EST:KAZ:LAT:KOR:RUS:SVK:SUI:USA

Women’s Curling: :CAN:JPN:NOR:CHN:KOR:RUS:ESP:SWE:SUI:GBR
Men’s Curling: :CAN:CZE:JPN:NED:NOR:KOR:RUS:SWE:SUI:GBR 

Not sure what’s with the reduced amount of teams in Ice Hockey, my guess would either be Covid protocols, or a lack of funding for other teams due to the effects of the pandemic. @JurYour eyes do not deceive you, that is a Spanish team entered in women’s curling. Also, the Netherlands will make their debut in Men’s Curling according to the FISU @heywoodu. Estonia is also scheduled to make their debut in Men’s Ice Hockey.

1 hour ago, Olympian1010 said:

FISU announce the entries in the team sports today.

Women’s Ice Hockey: :CAN:JPN:CHN:RUS:SUI:USA

Men’s Ice Hockey: :CAN:CZE:EST:KAZ:LAT:KOR:RUS:SVK:SUI:USA

Women’s Curling: :CAN:JPN:NOR:CHN:KOR:RUS:ESP:SWE:SUI:GBR
Men’s Curling: :CAN:CZE:JPN:NED:NOR:KOR:RUS:SWE:SUI:GBR 

Not sure what’s with the reduced amount of teams in Ice Hockey, my guess would either be Covid protocols, or a lack of funding for other teams due to the effects of the pandemic. @JurYour eyes do not deceive you, that is a Spanish team entered in women’s curling. Also, the Netherlands will make their debut in Men’s Curling according to the FISU @heywoodu. Estonia is also scheduled to make their debut in Men’s Ice Hockey.

I believe the organizing committee set the team max