website statistics

Winter Universiade 2021

Totallympics

1 minute ago, intoronto said:

I believe the organizing committee set the team max

That could be the case as well, I just know that in the past the men’s tournament has generally had 12 teams, and the women’s 8 teams.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Where can one find the exact eligibility rules in order to compete (in cross-country skiing, specifically)? I can find this document, which mentions some rules around having to be eligible, but it doesn't say exactly who is eligible.

https://www.fisu.net/medias/fichiers/20210201_fisu_regulations_lucerne_20211.pdf

It is specifically about Gabi Neres and whether or not she'd be eligible to compete.

https://www.fis-ski.com/DB/general/athlete-biography.html?sectorcode=cc&competitorid=175343

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

44 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Where can one find the exact eligibility rules in order to compete (in cross-country skiing, specifically)? I can find this document, which mentions some rules around having to be eligible, but it doesn't say exactly who is eligible.

https://www.fisu.net/medias/fichiers/20210201_fisu_regulations_lucerne_20211.pdf

It is specifically about Gabi Neres and whether or not she'd be eligible to compete.

https://www.fis-ski.com/DB/general/athlete-biography.html?sectorcode=cc&competitorid=175343

Have you seen this?  Basically

1. Must be a student
  2. Age requirement
  3. Permission from national Governing Body
  4. COVID stuff

Think that’s about it. In the past I’ve seen FISU CC competitions where the competitors range from Justyna Kowalczyk etc to people whose only recommendation seems to be the possession of wealthy, doting parents.

http://www.fisu.net/medias/fichiers/Eligibility_Form.pdf

4 minutes ago, Grassmarket said:

Have you seen this?  Basically

1. Must be a student
  2. Age requirement
  3. Permission from national Governing Body
  4. COVID stuff

Think that’s about it. In the past I’ve seen FISU CC competitions where the competitors range from Justyna Kowalczyk etc to people whose only recommendation seems to be the possession of wealthy, doting parents.

http://www.fisu.net/medias/fichiers/Eligibility_Form.pdf

Thanks, I had not seen that! Although I did see 28 years being mentioned, but if I'm not mistaken they changed that to 25 years as maximum age from Luzern onwards? Which would still be fine in Gabi's case, since she'll turn 26 in May 2022.

I'll send this on though, after today's races we'll see if she is within these rules :) 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

b) former students of the institutions mentioned in a), who have obtained 
their academic degree or diploma in the calendar year preceding the event.

Should that be read as 'all of 2020' or as 'between 11 December 2020 and 11 December 2021'? I'm not entirely sure. 

In Gabi's case, she 'finished' her study in 2019 but received her diploma in January 2020 (the date on the diploma is from that month). As we saw early last year, we really can't count on the Brazilian federation figuring this stuff out, that's why we are trying.

11 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Should that be read as 'all of 2020' or as 'between 11 December 2020 and 11 December 2021'? I'm not entirely sure. 

In Gabi's case, she 'finished' her study in 2019 but received her diploma in January 2020 (the date on the diploma is from that month). As we saw early last year, we really can't count on the Brazilian federation figuring this stuff out, that's why we are trying.

From the WU2021 Games Regulations as of January 2021:

5.2.4 Nationality and Age Restriction
a) All athletes must satisfy the following conditions:
- be a national of the country they represent (with exception in Ice Dance events – c.f. Figure Skating Sports Regulations); FISU Regulations January 2021
- be at least 18 and no older than 25 years of age on the 31st December of the year of the event (WU2021: the athletes must be born between 1 January 1996 and 31 December 2003).
b) Athletes participating in FISU sport events must represent the same country as in their respective International Federations events. Changes of sport nationality must follow respective IF rules.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

31 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

From the WU2021 Games Regulations as of January 2021:

Yeah, so if there's an issue with her eligibility, age is definitely not it, because she's born in 1996. The most uncertain thing is about the date of her diploma and on what exactly they mean with the 'preceding calendar year'.